More Pictures Please!!

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Offshore 57

More Pictures Please!!

Post by Offshore 57 »

This request goes out to everyone. Please post more pictures of your beautiful boats. I have been a Thompson fan for all 40 years of my life and have been following the Dockside for 5+ of them. This is my 2nd post to the site and you can expect many more. I plan to post pictures as soon as I figure out the correct way to attach them. I will have to look up the stream from years ago on how to add pics. Andreas, if you would be so kind as to post a refresher on how to attach that would be helpful to all. My 57 Peshtigo built Offshore was first purchased by my great uncle in the summer of 1957 and passed through the family over the years. I actually have a 8mm video from the very first time it was launched, pictures a plenty and tons of personal stories. He gave the boat to my parents in the mid 70's and they sold it in the mid 80's. I tracked it down in August of 2008 after being lost for over 20 years, drove 1600 miles and pulled it home. Thankfully she was well taken care of over those years and after a few summers of use is now ready for another refinish. She has seen 2 different trailers, 3 different motors and 2 canvas tops but still smells the same as I remember her when me and my brothers and sisters used to play hide and seek under the mooring cover while being stored in the family garage. Or peeking at Christmas presents that my parents stashed in her front hold thinking we would never look there. I hope to start stripping paint and varnish soon. I will have my 8 and 2 year old sons by my side, a chunk of 2x4 with sandpaper stapled to it in hand, just like Dad used to give me and start making new memories with my boys. This site is an inspiration to all who love classic boats no matter the make, model or year. Happy boating to all and thanks for your passion! (I promise pics coming soon).
Brett Peterson
Offshore 57
Sauk Rapids, MN
LancerBoy

Re: More Pictures Please!!

Post by LancerBoy »

Hi Brett, welcome aboard!

Pictures must first be uploaded to something like photobucket. Then cut and paste them into the text of your post. easy peasy.

Since our last communication I have picked up a 1956 or 1957 Off-Shore. She's sitting in my shed collecting dust!

Andreas
Offshore 57

Post by Offshore 57 »

I have seen the pictures of your new shop and the offshore you mention on this site. Nice new place to work on your boats compaired to that little garage I visited you at years ago when you lived in Minneapolis. If I remember correctly you had an early 60's Thomson cuddy stuffed in there? How is that project coming? You should rent out the extra space in your new shop to Thompson owners! Great way to support your addiction!
Brett Peterson
Offshore 57
Sauk Rapids, MN
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

hahaha, rent out space! I wish. I need to find a place to put two boats for the winter. My new shed and the old lean-to are full to the brim! And one boat is still stored in Peshtigo.

I have not touched the big 22 ft. Sea Lane Cabin Cruiser. OK, that's not true. I touch it and move it all the time. It's always in my way. I am working on getting the workshop built. That's my priority now. NO boat restoration until the shop is done. Or at least until I have a ceiling and lights! I need help installing the ceiling.

Andreas
JALL

Post by JALL »

Offshore 57 please post the procedure to cut and paste your pics from Photobucket. I have pictures on the Photobucket site and that's as far as I can get. Easy for some difficult for others. Thank You
Offshore 57

Post by Offshore 57 »

First Attempt at posting a picture!
Attachments
My Great Uncle with the Offshore on her maiden voyage summer of "57".
My Great Uncle with the Offshore on her maiden voyage summer of "57".
Thompson 1957-3.jpg (100.59 KiB) Viewed 37828 times
Last edited by Offshore 57 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brett Peterson
Offshore 57
Sauk Rapids, MN
Offshore 57

Post by Offshore 57 »

Offshore's Maiden Voyage 1957 in color.
Offshore's Maiden Voyage 1957 in color.
Uncles Boat 6.jpg (37.97 KiB) Viewed 37828 times
Brett Peterson
Offshore 57
Sauk Rapids, MN
Offshore 57

Post by Offshore 57 »

1957 Offshore Circa summer of "59".
1957 Offshore Circa summer of "59".
A-1.jpg (133.46 KiB) Viewed 37828 times
My Great Uncle loved to fish so he had the dealer install the deck lights for night fishing and docking. The killer rear flag Glo-Pole was installed by the dealer when he first purchased her. Very cool look at night when the whole pole glows bright white and then is see through during the daytime (old skool fiber optics!). The story on the 2 sets of ID numbers is that one was for state registration and the other was for it's Coast Guard registration for use on Lake Superior, can any of our vintage members validate that?
Brett Peterson
Offshore 57
Sauk Rapids, MN
Offshore 57

Post by Offshore 57 »

1957 Offshore summer of "62"
1957 Offshore summer of "62"
Lake 1962 - 2.jpg (108.89 KiB) Viewed 37828 times
1957 Offshore with her 2nd power plant the mighty "Tower of Power" Merc 1000 in the Summer of "62". My Great Uncle said it was the first like it on the lake.
Brett Peterson
Offshore 57
Sauk Rapids, MN
Offshore 57

Post by Offshore 57 »

1957 Offshore Current set up.
1957 Offshore Current set up.
At the Lake 4.jpg (124.4 KiB) Viewed 37828 times
Here she is in her most recent configuration. 3rd motor a "61" Merc 700 and non color correct red canvas top. I think the red top gives her some sizzle. She has been out of the water for a few years and is awaiting a full refinish. Let the fun begin!
Brett Peterson
Offshore 57
Sauk Rapids, MN
JALL

Post by JALL »

Image just trying to post pics Thanks to Offshore57
Offshore 57

Post by Offshore 57 »

Dual motor set ups are cool, keep us posted with pictures.
Brett Peterson
Offshore 57
Sauk Rapids, MN