what about a floor?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

andre lafrance

what about a floor?

Post by andre lafrance »

I want to eventually put a floor in my '57 sea coaster deluxe. I'm thinking about this now because it's getting close to installing the inner keel. however, atop the inner keel sits a brace running from the transom to just in front of the rear seat. the sister keels (?) keelson (?) run to just shy of the forward dashboard. I'm thinking I have to make a brace atop the inner keel equal in length to the sister keels. how were these floors installed? thanks and a happy new year to all...
LancerBoy

Re: what about a floor?

Post by LancerBoy »

Keelson is inside the boat made up of three pieces of wood glued and screwed together
Stringers run parallel to the keelson outboard of it on either side - something like 16 inches form the boat centerline. Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. actually called these stringers "sister keelson" which I think is a little goofy
Keel is on the outside of the boat. It is a single piece of white oak

You will need some blocking/supports for the floor boards. The flooring in the 1950s Thompson boats was tempered hardboard (a "Masonite" type product that was painted).

I bet I have some pics of my various Sea Lancer restorations on my facebook page which may show the floor framing.

Andreas
andre lafrance

Re: what about a floor?

Post by andre lafrance »

once again, thanks...