Questions from ignorant novice

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

steve in texas

Questions from ignorant novice

Post by steve in texas »

What is the difference between 3M-5200 and the West system? What about the Smith caulk? I am not interested in full coverage, just caulking and bonding small repair..Thanks, working with steep learing curve.
LancerBoy

Re: Questions from ignorant novice

Post by LancerBoy »

3M-5200 is a caulk - adhesive. Permanent adhesion. So do NOT use it if you want to get something apart in the future.

West System is an epoxy based coating.

I do not know what "Smith caulk" is. Smith and Co. make many products for woodworking including Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES). CPES is a great sealer and some claim it stops decay. I do not believe the latter.

Andreas
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Thanks Andreas. I just need to know what to use to bond either a dutchman joint or scarf fix to bond the wood into the repair . What do you suggest? I do know that i do not want to stiffen everything, just bond the fixing wood into place
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Hey Steve.
I of course have an opinion, but it depends on where and to what this repair is. Inside or outside the hull, above or below the water line, plank or frame, or keel member. Whatchya fixin'?
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Thanks. I am replacing and repairing 8-10 in of the keel infront of front seat along with 4-6 in of two ribs on port side, same area. Keelson might need some minor work too. Boat was under a shed for last 31 years and rain probably blew inand this was the low spot. A few old timer "experts" have told it was no big deal, but i am plowing new ground...thanks
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

hmmmm. without seeing pictures I'm guessing, but, on the keel components I would use a high quality, waterPROOF (i.e. not just water resistant) wood glue. I've never tried bonding wood with apoxy so can't comment on the virtues of that over wood glue. Depending on the fix, can you also use screws?
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

1. Was the bottom originally varnished before painting? 2. What was used to cover the screws, it looks like bondo? 3. Since i am there, should i remove the substance and snug all the screws? Do not want to do this again (on this boat)
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

1. the outside of the hull was prime painted then painted. NO varnish. The interior of the hull was varnished only
2. the screw holes were filled with white lead. Be careful when removing it - it is nasty stuff. Smith & Co. make a good product to use for filling over the screws and bolts called "Fill-It"
3. if you are exposing all the puttied-over screw and bolt location, sure, why not dig out the filler and snug up the fasteners

Andreas
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Thanks Andreas, thought someone might say that. Glad i had mask on