bottom repair and refinish

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

steve in texas

bottom repair and refinish

Post by steve in texas »

Finally! Removed all hardware, interior, windshield, etc. Now ready to remove from trailer and get it upside down. Let the fun begin. I know that i will get to perform some keel repair; we will see what other issues i might encounter. Steve
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Re: bottom repair and refinish

Post by thegammas »

post lots of pics for us!
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

I have tried to post pics, it is beyond me; i live in the woods. Steve
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Here's how I do it...
Set up a free account at photobucket.com, which is a web site for storing and sharing pictures. It's simple to upload pictures there.
Then, when you are ready to post a pic in your thread, you go to the picture you want, copy the "IMG" link, then paste it in your text
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Whew! It is hot here. Just spent 3 hours stripping and scraping, it will go quicker since i have kinda figured it out. The bare wood is sure pretty under the paint. Another brick in the wall...
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

From below the splash rail, to the keel...scraped and sanded. When i get help to raise one side, i will do that. My back cannot stand to get that low! Sunday i did not follow directions on stripper and globbed it on like in a pic that Andreas had posted...it got easy! Progress made.
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Kid from down the road (280lbs) grabbed boat midships and lifted, holding it while i stacked 1 more milk crate fore and aft! Youth. With boat at angle, i was then able to strip and scrape 2 boards above splash rail. While stripper was bubbling, i was able to pick and snug 5 rows of rib screws starting at transom, moving forward. Surprising (to me) most took less than 1/8 turn after 55 years.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Big kids are good to have around to lift stuff!

Andreas
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

2 boards sanded, 2 boards stripped and scraped along with shiny part stripped and scraped...
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Seems that my keel is in 3 sections. I will have to remove and replace the aft section because of needed repairs. Looks like there is a through bolt at end of aft section and next section? Since i am here, guess i should remove and recaulk sections on either side of bow eye. Surely these sections will retain bends during removal? Do not want to try steam bending exercise.
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Sorry, keel in 2 sections, late night, early morning...
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Bottom sanded, all rib screws picked and snugged. Next,remove aft 8' keel and repair small section of garboard. Then, caulk and replace with new keel. Anyway, that is the plan.
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Just in from meetings in Austin. Luckily, friend came in his truck. I was told about Fine Lumber that was located 3 miles from hotel. Inventory was unbelievable! Scored 3/8 and 1/4 in hydrotech that is beautiful. Also obtained 1/4 sewn white oak for keel and rib pieces. Relief in obtaining wood and having it in toy box beside boat
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

what is hydrotech?
steve in texas

Post by steve in texas »

Andreas, it is maranti marine ply, company nameof aquatech. 5 layers in both quarterand 3/8! Restorer in lockhart, tx (the wooden boat) told me about it and showed to me. Aquatech has nice website. I had found it in ohio, but the freight was more than product. Glad to have found it in austin, which is still 270 miles from me. Still have not figured difference between aquatech and hydrotech...salesman said it was same and stacked together. Got home and 3/8 was hydrotech and 1/4 was aquatech.