Glue

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Bill Dunn

Glue

Post by Bill Dunn »

Two weeks ago I was giving my Sea Lancer a good going through for a spring cleaning and I ran across what we all fear - transom rot!!! I sure was glad I decided this was the year for a coat of varnish on the inside, or I might not have found it. After a lot of investigative work on how it is assembled and installed ( and a lot of pictures) I got the old one out. It was worse than I thought. I was lucky and it was all in the transom. I have found everything I need to rebuild ( 12 " 5/4 mahogany and 5/4 white oak heartwood for the inside) and between the Bolt Depot and Jamestown Distributors I can get everything else. My question is what is the best glue to use? I was thinking an epoxy, but how about the original Gorilla Glue? The glue joint will be above the waterline, and Gorilla Glue says it is waterproof. Any suggestions?
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
JALL

Re: Glue

Post by JALL »

Bill, can I ask where you saw the pictures? I may need to replace mine. Thank You for any help. Jim A.
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

I was taking the pictures as I was working my way through so I have a reference to what it should look like when I put it back together. The memory isn't what it used to be. Digital cameras are a wonderful thing.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

3M 5200 is a pretty darned good glue
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

Thanks Andreas. I didn't think about using that. What do you use around the outside edge to seal it to the hull? Would 5200 be good for that too? Obviously, I don't plan on having to do this again, so getting it apart shouldn't be an issue!! Would Boatlife be a better product for this?
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Yes, 5200 for the plank to transom cause like you wrote, never plan on doing it again.

Andreas
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hey Bill,
How about letting us see some of those photos?
I have to rebuild the transom on my sea coaster. I am going to use epoxy Allen the way.
Robert in Carrboro NC
1964 Peshtigo Sea Coaster