1963 Sea Coaster Deluxe project

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

LancerBoy

Re: 1963 Sea Coaster Deluxe project

Post by LancerBoy »

It is part of the "drop cloth" put on in the factory so paint wouldn't get on the stained wood and vice versa.

That half round was put on after the plastic to keep it in place. When finishing was done they sliced it close to the piece and of course left the half round on that happened to have the plastic under it.

Andreas
chvjillson

Post by chvjillson »

It's been a while since I've posted updates on how things are going. To repair the hole I had in the bottom of the boat, I routed an area about 3/16" deep, and roughly crafted a piece of plywood to fill the hole. I plan to hold this piece in place by carefully screwing from the inside through a butt block making sure I don't screw too far into the new piece of plywood. I'll then fill in the gaps with Fill-It epoxy, then sand it down until it's flush, and then we'll be ready to apply CPES to the entire bottom of the boat.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Hi. You have mentioned that you plan to cpes the hull. It looks to me as though your boat is planked with mdo,as is my 1964 seacoaster. The cpes won't penetrate the mdo, so applying it would just be a waste?
Robert in Carrboro NC
1964 Peshtigo Sea Coaster
chvjillson

Post by chvjillson »

I purchased a two quart kit of Smith's CPES and decided to start applying a first coat today ... starting with the left side. I wanted to show you a side-by-side comparison of what it looks like when CPES is applied. I'll apply a very light second coat when the first coat cures in a few days, as long as we have nice warm weather.

Robert, I noticed that the CPES does soak in right away into the bare lapstrake planks.

thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

my boat is planked in plywood vs. MDO. When applying CPES on plywood one just needs to keep in mind there there only an 1/8 inch or less of wood before the first layer of glue. so not much is going to soak in (i.e. , dont over apply). That said, I was amazed at how much CPES soaked into that first ply when I treated the bilge with Smith's CPES (much better than Total Boat IMO). I wonder if it is softening the glue and soaking through.....
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
57cruisermerc

Post by 57cruisermerc »

Hi !! have been watching the progress on your project for a couple of months, ever since I purchased my boat. I'm close by and would like to meet some time and discuss some of the restoration plans/steps ,etc. I have a 1957 cruisers 16 ft (not sure of the exact model yet) with a 1961 6cyl. 80 hp mercury fgs. It is on a Gator 417 round tube frame trailer. Trying to get my "one - man boat roller" constructed and in my garage before the weather turns on us !! Oh, I'm in Potosi (Rockville) my name is Jim and if you get a few minutes, would like to chat. my # 608-732-6825 . thanks !! Btw, I think you're doing a great job !! should be beautiful when it's completed !!! great pics and captions !!
Jim Placko
Potosi Wi
jimplacko@gmail.com
chvjillson

Post by chvjillson »

Hi Jim! Thanks for the message! Yes, I'll try to connect sometime and talk about our restoration projects, etc.

This weekend we put the stem and keel combo onto the boat. We first did some pre-drilling with some help from the kids to hold the board down. Then we applied BoatLife Life-Calk on areas where we had gaps between the garboards.

We then loaded up the backside of the stem/keel with Life-Calk.

Then we carefully attached the stem/keel to the boat using silicon bronze #8 x 2 1/2" slotted flat head wood screws from boltdepot.com.

chvjillson

Post by chvjillson »

This weekend we purchased a quart of Kirby's Marine Topside Hull and Deck white primer and applied 1 coat using a 2 3/4" foam brush.

Our next step is to apply two coats of Kirby's Marine Topside Hull and Deck yacht white semi-gloss.
Last edited by chvjillson on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Making great progress!
I was considering the semi gloss vs. Gloss as well. Let me know what you think
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
57cruisermerc

Post by 57cruisermerc »

Clark, looks great ! thankful the weather has been holding out for us !! finally after hauling 3 loads of "trash" ?? to the reclaim center, re- arranging the good stuff, I have my boat in the shop !! I would like to start a post on here, but I'm not that good with downloading pics etc. Maybe you'd give me some pointers sometime, as It seems members throughout the country are willing to give tips and answer questions. Hope we can meet up sometime, looks like you'll be ready for the water by spring !!
Keep up the good work !!! Jim
Jim Placko
Potosi Wi
jimplacko@gmail.com
chvjillson

Post by chvjillson »

Thanks Peter and Jim for your comments! We've had some nice warm weather this week so I'm doing my best to get the painting done now before the cold weather sets in. This image shows the first coat of Kirby's yacht white semi-gloss (left) .... and then what 2 coats of yacht white semi-gloss looks like (right) using a 2 3/4" foam brush. I really like the semi-gloss look to it.

The next step was to mark where the waterline is on my boat before applying Petit's Old Salem copper bronze. I had to refer to old images to see exactly where the waterline was originally. Here's what the first coat looks like.

chvjillson

Post by chvjillson »

We were able to apply the final coat of copper bronze this morning, as temperatures were well above 50 degrees. By this afternoon the paint was dry enough for me to remove the painter's tape.

My goal is to have the boat back on the trailer by next week. I'm currently parking the trailer on our street, so I need move it before the snow flies. Once the boat is on the trailer I'll be able to keep it in the garage.
57cruisermerc

Post by 57cruisermerc »

Clark.
Winter is upon us.... well,, colder weather, anyway !! If you need help getting your boat on the trailer,, If I'm not working, give me a call !! would be glad to help !! looks great !! Was working on my boat and took 5 to see if anyone had been on and..... more great pics !!! better get back at my project, lots to do,, for sure !!!
happy thanksgiving ! Jim
Jim Placko
Potosi Wi
jimplacko@gmail.com
chvjillson

Post by chvjillson »

Thanks Jim for the offer, but we hosted Thanksgiving this year and part of the deal was they had to help get the boat on the trailer, then we could eat. :) The job didn't take very long, and having a couple of tires on wheels made it very easy to position the boat.

Last summer I had the boat trailer sand blasted and re-painted by Sodaworks LLC of Highland, WI. They did a great job as the trailer was really in rough shape. I'll do some more touch up work on it, including adding decals, adjusting rollers, and adjusting the height of the winch stand.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

great work!

Andreas