16' Cruisers, Inc Seafarer Project

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Had my bench seat recovered to match deck vinyl. I believe that this is the original pattern.

A local shop made them up for me using the old shredded seats as a pattern, about 175.00.
Sent lower unit to a local shop that has been doing these type lower units for years, a good working unit will make this engine sing.

Am still looking for canvas top and bows for this model, anyone know of any?
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
2qwk4u442

Post by 2qwk4u442 »

WOW!!!! :shock:
Nice!
Looking dam* good!!
<b>"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, create it.”</b>
<i>-Sir Henry Royce</i>
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

absolutely fabulous - what an inspiration! Btw, a brother of mine has one of your lake shots as his computer background - there's a compliment!
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Did a little trailer rehab when she was in the water. I replaced and extended the bunks so that they would run long past transom, making sure there was always support for transom. I added carpet to top edges. I painted fenders and rest of frame with rustoleum paint.

I re-carpeted front small bunks that came with trailer, not sure if i have them placed right yet.

Am currently awaiting rebuilt lower unit for 40hp Johnson, and finishing up wiring.
Am still looking for a set of top bows and canvas!!
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

I got lower unit back from shop, all lower components were in good shape and problem was all in melted power cord. Someone had run this engine out of the water and melted down the power cord were it had run through the exhaust area that normally is in the water.
My next project is to clean up and finish painting engine and cover.
I installed lower unit last night and have also finished running new electrical behind dash, I now have working bow/stern lights.
She is ready for TX numbers, the finishing touch!
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
Michael J. Seiber

Post by Michael J. Seiber »

Dan, I have the original top for mine. The canvas is shot but I plan on useing it for a pattern. I can give you the dimensions of the poles and canvas or I may be able to ship you the old canvas when I'm done with it so you could use it for a pattern. I'll be posting more pictures on my progress in the next couple of days. Mike S
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

I've had a great week, I got lower unit installed and water barrel tested and it spun the prop like it should. My next move is to pull motor from transom and paint overall.

I came across a prop on E-bay that is adjustable, it has unlock mechanism and the ability to set from a 7 to 15 pitch range, pretty cool. I have not had a chance to lake test yet wil let you know how well it works.

I also went by my local boat shop for some plywood and oak and they were cutting up a 35' Chris Craft of which I got some 1" thick by 17" mahogany plank that was originally deck planks. I am planning to build rear seats out of this great lumber!

I also met my friend Andy and we crossed the lake in his 59 Offshore Thompson to check on progress being made on a 20" Cruisers Inc he is having a newer Volvo engine put in. We launched her but carb problems kept her from revving up.

But any reason to enjoy a 70 degree day in January and cruise the lake was well worth it.

This is one of the reasons I live in Texas!
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Rub it in. Right now it is -40 F wind chill in Minneapolis!

Andreas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Finished electrical this weekend. I added a bus bar/ ground bar behind dash, for common grounds and a fuse block to run hot wires from and additional electrical accessories in the future. I added a bilge pump under seat and ran hose to starboard side so that seat unit hid hose and through hull fitting.
I found some older style and color wire, old trailer wire to run from bilge to dash so it looks like it belongs. My pump tests for water every once in a while, then shuts off. I wired it on a two position switch so that I can shut it down completely for storage or leave it on while in the water. The other position I wired for manual operation.
I also moved wiring harness from engine to dash down to the floor area and hid behind toe panels on edge of floor, this hid all exposed wiring from view.
I also added a light under dash to light up storage area and feet, and a small cockpit light on the rear starboard side to aide in boarding.
Hopefully this week I will get my TX numbers and ready to launch.
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Very cool - I'm envious that you can put time against your ride. Mine sits and waits.
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Pulled engine from transom pulled hull away and left electric cable attached then repainted entire lower unit.

I went through entire electrical system and cleaned up all contacts and replaced solenoid. Then I found out starting problems were with neutral starting switch. Painted control box while it was off.

She is in the water today and I will have some new action shots up next. Sorry you northern guys it's 80 today with a south breeze.
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Lower unit repaired, Electrical system cleaned up and new plugs! Time for a new lake test! With an 80 degree day February forcast in Ft Worth I could not pass it up.

I rebuilt control and lubed it up, what a difference!

She started right up and had no problem coming at once to plane and topped out at about 23. Ran consistent and fairly quiet for a two stroke.

She is ready for the Hot Springs Show in March so now I will cover her up and move on to projects on my 20' Seacamper. i am still searching for a convertible top and bows!
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

As always, excellent looking! So who do you get to take the in-water shots? And is that person on a bridge or something high up?

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Dan,

Nice looking boat and a job well done.

Sure is funny what going 1,000 plus mile south makes. I am looking out the window and watching the gray squirels digging for the nuts I threw out for them in the 16" of snow we have on the ground here. Todays high temperature is to be some where around +20 degrees with zero or below expected for tonight. It will be sometime before we will be taking our boats out for a spin up here. Right now the water is to darn hard to get the boat into.

Again Dan, Job Well Done!
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

Sweet
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware