Bow eye original?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Bill E

Bow eye original?

Post by Bill E »

Seems I read somewhere around here that the stem didn't originally have a bow eye, and that it creates a weak spot in the stem. What have you guys found to be the case? It sure is handy to hook the trailer winch strap onto, but If I get to replacing the stem, I'll have a decision to make whether to put the eye back on.

Thoughts?

-wte
Bill Eason
Atlanta, GA
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Pretty much a standard factory item as far as I am concerned. One of the only hardware items installed in the factory on many of the models.

Look at the brochures and price lists and accessory lists for specifics.

Andreas
jim hays

bow eye

Post by jim hays »

Bill, upon reading your posting it has left me to believeing your are looking for a bow eye? I have the one (orig) from my 59 Sea Coaster that Im willing to part with if this is the case. I had to do so much to my coaster that I didnt worry about putting back on all the orginal items, wanted shiney to show of the work. Just returned from two mo in AZ and Im ready to go back had a snow weekend the week before and it is still to cold to work in the shop, however my boat is finished and would like to post some pic but havent been able to figure out both posting and license plate stuff out yet. Will work on it. Well all keep it above water. Jim Hays
Bill E

Post by Bill E »

Sorry for the confusion -- yes, I do have a bow eye, and the hardware looks exactly like the two ski rope eyes on the transom, so probably all original. It's just that the outer stem appears to have a crack or split around the area where the eye goes through, and I might end up replacing the whole stem assembly (inner & outer). If I do, I was wondering about the originality of the bow eye. It's probably worth keeping, even if it's not original.

Check out http://acme.com/licensemaker/ for making a license plate image file. That has to be put out on the web somewhere like one of the free image hosting services. Then you can link to it in your signature (edit via your profile). That's the short version!

-wte
Bill Eason
Atlanta, GA