Window Gasket instalation

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

TreelineIII

Window Gasket instalation

Post by TreelineIII »

I am trying to put in the white Gasket around the window edge. This is the thin white strip with a dove tail type of an edge, and a tapered front inside edge. My challenge is that when I round a corner it bundles and kinks up. Not a smooth corner, and certainly not one that would stay nice. What is the trick? Do I need to heat this up in boiling water? Do I use silicon clear glue to bed the glass, and trim? Any help would be appreciated. I am doing all windows, and want to do it right. What ever that means?
Thanks again all.
TreelineIII
Michael J. Seiber

Post by Michael J. Seiber »

I removed my window gasket and then reused it. It had five or six shallow vee's cut into the dovetail (the part that you can't see) in the corners to help it bend. You may want to try a small piece just to experiment. If you have a small gap when you are done it will cause the corners to come back out. I used the original trim and it was short so I ordered some from a seller on ebay and cut them to fit the gap. I don't believe you need to use anything else on it. Mike
TreelineIII

Post by TreelineIII »

My old trim had no life left in it, so I must bring in the new. Not to mention the wood frame which I rebuilt. So I need to figure how I am going to mold this trip in too the corners. My corners are replicas of the standard turns on the original frame. Thanks for your input however.
TreelineIII
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

I have used that same new trim and have same problem. This edging does not have the same mass as original. I keep hoping the heat will relax it but it does not.
Sorry don't have an answer.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The vinyl window retainer that I have used has worked just fine. I have obtained some from Dr. Lyman and some from the guy that advertises here (in the Chicago area - sorry - can't recall his name). I have not had any problems. I did not heat it or boil it or soak it.

I have used it on 1959, 1961, and 1965 boats by Thompson of Peshtigo.

Andreas
Michael J. Seiber

Post by Michael J. Seiber »

What I was trying to say is that I believe you need to notch the inside of the trim in several palces right on the corner to help it bend around. I have a extra new piece left from my boat. I will see if I can make it work and let you know. Mike
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Guys,

I would think sliting the tongue that goes into the groove in the frame will help greatly. Just taking a razor knife and cutting this tongue will eliminate the pull it has on the portion that holds the glass. This should eliminate the bunching up of this lip that goes against the glass.
This is the same thing one does if you are bending wood and you do not want to or can not steam it because of the type of material being used or even if steaming if the materials thickness is too thick for the radius bend you are doing.

Good Luck,
Phill