Think I just ID'd my Thompson

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

bosshoff

Think I just ID'd my Thompson

Post by bosshoff »

I got my Thompson CD with all of the brochures/catalogs today. My boat is tagged Thompson Boat Co. of New York, Cortland New York. The boat is 19' 4" from tip to tail. It has a Volvo-Penta inboard/outboard, semi free-stading helm, and a revesible passenger seat (front facing or rear facing). Now here is where it kind of gets funky. The boat is the same as the Sea-V boats from Thompson Chris Craft? Did the "Chris Craft Thompsons" come out of the Cortland plant?
bosshoff

Post by bosshoff »

If you check the CD, under 1963 Thompson Chris Craft boats, my boat is the first to come up. I do not think it has a "Sea-V" hull, as the transome area is flatter than the agressive "V" shown in the later catalog drawing.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Chris-Craft purchased Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. at Cortland, NY in January 1962. It became a wholly owned subsidiary of Chris-Craft. Boats after this purchase had the "Thompson" hullside logos on the planking near the stern and a "Chris-Craft" logo on the dashboard.

The 1963 models from Cortland were very different from the 1962 models, they did a major redesign.

Is your windshield frame wooden or aluminum?

Hopw about the hull ID and/or serial number stamped into the wood of the transom?

Pictures? Are any available? You can email them directly to me to help ID the boat.

Andreas
Email: thompsonboat@msn.com
bosshoff

Lancerboy

Post by bosshoff »

I will email you pictures today. You have to understand this boat is apart. I do indeed have the aluminum windshield, as well as the side rails that attach to the windshield and extend back torwards the stern. The hull ID # 23359 is burned into the transom wood, and also located on the ajoining tag.