sitting with a list to port - thoughts?

Maintenance issues you will want to know.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

sitting with a list to port - thoughts?

Post by thegammas »

Check out the pics below - note how my boat sits tilted to port when at rest. There is no apprceiable difference in how the cargo was distributed. What causes this?

When underway, she leans on her port side bottom - in order for the boat to plane level, I have to stand just off center to starboard.

I think the hook in the bottom (from sitting on the trailer with short bunks for a long time) is causing her to ride bow down - If I tilt the motor to compensate and lift the bow, it starts to cavitate. Should'nt she ride on a plane that is about amidship? Sorry, couldnt get a pic from out side the boat. No one wanted to get up this morning.

Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

From all of your pics it looks like the boat is listing to Starboard (right) not port (left). If the load is balanced as you say, then I suggest carefully checking the motor to ensure that it is centered on the hull. I found that my 240 pound Evinrude was actually mounted an 1 1/2 off center. That caused a bit of a list at rest. When underway the the prop reaction torque tends to twist the boat down on one side, this is normally a minor effect, hardly noticable. If I figured this correctly... a right hand rotating prop would torque the hull down on the starboard side.
Joe B
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

You are correct sir! Starboard list. When under way it gets really pronounced. I'll measure the engine location to double check.
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
john

Post by john »

Mine is very much the same. Moving the 75# battery brings it back.. It is very sensitive to weight distribution.

What is your top rpm, if over proped it could cause increaded prop torque, which could cause your list at speed.
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

It has the original 2 blade 21 pitch. I have a three blade, cupped, stainless 19 pitch, and a three blade standard 17 pitch. Planning on trying the stainless first, but it is a heavy prop (at least twice if not more, than an aluminum prop as you would expect).

This is the original motor and prop for the boat. I'm thinking the prop torque, my weight, and the minor (?) hook in the bottom is the culprit. I hope it's not a torqued hull.

Haven't decided if I am going to flip it and redo the bottom this winter. If I do, I should be able to determine if the hull is torqued and the bottom more hooked than I think.
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
a j r

Post by a j r »

I cannot make any logical comments about your list to starboard.

The bow down while operating is most likely caused by the book in the hull.

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Peter, What do you mean by a "torqued hull" ? Do not misconstrue the comments about prop torque as somehow imparting a perminant twist in the hull. The effect of prop torque is to impart a slight list when under way at considerable ( full) power. Prop torque would have no influance on the list at rest or low speed. List at rest is strictly a weight distribution issue.

Joe B

PS ... you have a very nice looking boat. Is that a 100 HP motor? What's you top speed? I'm guessing 35 - 36 MPH
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

Thanks Joe - I wasn't thinking the prop torque had imparted the hull twist. I am thinking that if the boat was sitting poorly for a long time that maybe the hull has a twist in it now. I'm pondering ways to measure it or some thing to see if there is a twist (i.e level the transom, then measure the the bow or check it's level).

And thanks for the compliment - she is nice looking, but needs some work. And that is a 100hp Merc. You can go to youtube at these links to see/hear it run. If you do, check out the spray on the starboard side vs. port - I am standing in the center of the boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZjIVd-fIiM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33o7iNK6F58
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Peter,
Weight distribution in these hulls is critical. Since your boat does not have the original seat set, it is already light on the port side. Battery location is critical, if yours is on starboard move it to other side, same with fuel tanks.

Does your engine have the small skeg above and behind prop, sorry I don't know name of that or if your motor has one, I thought mercs had them. If so then an adjustment/turn in that skeg will help conteract lean at speed.

Moving weight around will make more difference. I reinstalled my port gas tank in my 20' Seacamper and what a difference in ride level and speed.

These hulls are like big canoes.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

Thanks Dan,

In the pics at the top of this thread, the battery is sitting on the starboard side, the full 6 gallon fuel tank is sitting between the keel and port sister. When I go out this weekend, weather and propeller replacement permitting (It appears my prop hub is slipping), I'll have 12 gallons of fuel on board and will move them and the battery around to see if that levels the boat. As I said somewhere above, if I stood port of center, the boat planed out level. I weigh approx 155#.

Great point on the trim tab on the engine skeg. Mercs do have them my understanding is that they are intended to overcome the prop torque when turning so that the boat is as easy to turn one way as another. If memory serves, mine is set such that it would steer the boat to starboard. I'll make that adjustment as well and see what the results are.

Thanks for the tips - hopefully more pics and video this weekend
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Peter,

Your boat looks great and there were a lot of good ides about weight distribution. I have an unrelated question. In your posted images, it appears that your motor/steering system uses a teleflex type steering cable. However, the steering wheel seems to be the original steering wheel used at the Cortland Plant at that time. How was this steering wheel modified to accept the Teleflex system? Im sure the original used the cable and pully system, ( I also noticed a pully wheel near the transom). I was under the impression that the old type steering wheels needed to be replaced in order to use the teleflex steering cable. Can you offer any help? Thanks.

Mike
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

I checked it out - looks to me like all the guy did was install a ride glide set up, and the orignal wheel just bolted right on (in this pic I popped off the center cap) - Not sure if he had to drill the wheel out or what. Didnt see any indication of modifications to the wheel.

Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Most steering wheels are fitted to a tapered shaft which is splined adb the wheel is held in place by a washer and thin jamb nut. These are generally the same size shaft, taper and spline through out all of the manufacturer's. So you should be able to take one wheel and place it on another manfacturers shaft in most cases. You might run across a older wheel that you may have to modify to fit a newer steering system, but to date I have not run into that problem.

Also, if you are looking to spruce up the look of an older steering wheel you can sand the wheel with wet dry sand paper and repaint using a high grade of outdoor enamel or auotmotive paints. I have done this and made the wheels look like new.

Phill
kevx

Post by kevx »

The first thing I noticed was the single seat on the starboard, which I guess might make it list that way.
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

I thought so too but that seat only weighs about 10 pounds - I'd be surprised if that by itself cause that much list. It's been awhile so I cant recall where I had the tanks and such were. The battery is on that side, but I seem to recall have a full tank on the other. Who knows.

In any case, I have the boat off on stands now and it has no appreciable twist in the hull. We'll see how she sits when I finally have a chance to finish patching the hull under the stem and get it in the water. Everything else seems to be getting in the way of that project these days.
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware