1967 Thompson Super Thomboy

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Ron P

vinyl deck material.

Post by Ron P »

TRy www.greatlakesskipper.com

You should cut a sample and send it to them.

Find it under the windshield,under seats behind the dash.

It will match pretty close. But will not have the strong weave backing. It will be the same as seat material.

It will just not be as durable. Cuts scrapes etc. You will keep your boat out of the weather for the most part so it will be ok.
Get the nautalex products ,Sandstone or shark for your floors. Use there glue also.

Have you got inside this boat and checked for rot in the keeson and stem?
Are all the ribs ok? THe joint at the transom with the bottom.How is the caulk in the outer keel /stem strip? You have got to get these things fixed right before working on varnish and vinyl.
Ron Pistohl
64 Cruisers Inc. 17 ft,W/64Johnson 90hp

65 Thompson 15 ft.W/65 Evinrude 40hp
Appleton,Wisconsin
Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Hello and thanks for the advice. I work for Rejuvenation Woodworks, a vintage wooden boat restoration shop in Eustis Florida, and bought it from the owner as he was into numerous personal projects himself. The interior has been removed and the hull cleaned in and out, no broken ribs and no rot ! I am amazed, the decks need to be replaced and the windshield frames and seat frames need some attention, but she is really solid. I wil check more thoroughly when we flip her over.
Matthew
Matthew

New Rub Rails

Post by Matthew »

I believe that the vinyl for my decks has been located, thanks to Thompson Dockside members, I have all my new deck lumber and now am trying to find the source for new rub rails, I belive that somewhere, someone stated that the white rubber was still in production. Can anyone help me with this? Thankyou
Matthew
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Really got into the project this weekend, removed interior, pulled the rub rails and removed the decks. Found some rot throughout the shear board, which I will steam bend new wood and replace, and also found that my forward deck bracing was broken free from it's aft most crossmember actually allowing the hull to push out ward. Will have to reengineer the mounting points and pull it all back together. Still, the inside of the strakes and the ribs look great! I am having more fun with this boat than I can imagine, and gaining a great appreciation for the quality of the boat. I'll post some pics if I can figure it out, any advice or suggestions on the shear board replacement or the deck support issue Very Welcome. Thanks :D
Matthew