Alum. Rub Rail Restoration

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

lmtgb

Alum. Rub Rail Restoration

Post by lmtgb »

I removed the aluminum rub rail on my boat so I can revarnish the deck. I would like to do some light sanding and polishing to clean it up. Any tips or products that are effective? It is currently dull and turns a gray color when sanded.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Imtbg,

Most aluminum trim has a clear anodized finish which keeps it from oxidizing. Once the clear anodized coating is off the aluminumwill oxidize and go from a light gray to a dark gray or even black in color.
Once sanded "wet" with very very fine wet dray sandpaper and then it has to be buffed with a buffing wheel to a bright highly poolished finish you need to put on a protective clear coating of some sort on it immediately or it will oxidize shortly there after.
Problem is that most finished will not stick for any length of time to the polished surface and most are not weather resistant and will degrade in time. I have used clear spray coatings like lacquer and emanels with some success but nothing beats the original anodization finish.
You might want to see if you can find some new aluminum trim with an anodized finsih to replace it.

Good Luck,

Phill
lmtgb

Post by lmtgb »

Phil, Thanks for the advice. The rub rail is available but boy is it expensive. I've used the anodize for alum that is gold in color but I've not seen the clear. I'll research that.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I have just used steel wool to clean up aluminum bits. After cleaning it I apply chrome polish.

Andreas