rib repair and keel

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Paul Fisher

rib repair and keel

Post by Paul Fisher »

I pulled up a floor section on a '63 I am bringing back to life. I found that there is a gap between the "end " of the port rib and the starbord rib. I am missing about 6 to 8 inches total and there is nothing that goes under the keel board and supports.
What would be the best way to repair this. I am afraid to scarf a new piece in then screw it to the bottom.
Paul
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Hi,

'63 what? Boats of various makes and models and years were built differently.

Why is there a gap in the ribs? Decay, broken, etc...? You need to figure out why so that the problem can be addressed properly. If there is decay, you need to remove all the decayed portions and repair them prolerly.

Andreas
Paul Fisher

Post by Paul Fisher »

63 Tomson Sea Lancer. it has been sitting out side and I pulled the floor up and found the problem. Looks like they cleaned it up, did not repair and put a floor over it, keel etc wood is very fixable but I am not sure what to do aboout the ribs.
Paul
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Thompson Bros. Moat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WI I assume and NOT Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. of Cortland, NY. They had different construction details.

Remove the bad wood. If it is due to decay - make sure you remove enuff wood to get away from the tendrils of the decay organism. Clean everything up and remove paint or varnish. Coat it with Smith's Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES). Let it dry. Make new wooden pieces from all heartwood white oak. Do NOT use any sapwood and do NOT use red oak. Use the old pieces as patterns.

Scarf joints that are glued and bolted are the best means to join the old to the new.

If there is decay in the ribs, there very well may be decay in the keelson and maybe even the planking.

Remove all the floor boards and make a very close inspection. Do it right the first time.

Andreas
Paul Fisher

Post by Paul Fisher »

There is a real problem with getting the Smith's as it is not carried anywhere around here so I am going to have to go a different route.
Can anyone tell me how thick the bottom is?
Paul
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

You can purchase Smith's CPES and other Smith products via the internet and mail order. That's how I get mine. I think you can buy it directly from Smith & Co. Other sources are: www.classicboatconnection.com; www.rotdoctor.com; and probably many others.

Aagin, I am going to assme this is a boat made by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. at Peshtigo, WI. The plywood planking is 3/8 inch thick. The ribs are about 3/4 inch x 1 1/4 inch.

Hope this helps.

Andreas