EMCBC barn find

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Thanks Dan. :lol:
This is a very interesting find, a piece of history, and I'm sure a lot of us are interested in her future. If it's not too much trouble, please keep us posted. :D

Verne
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

As I wrote previously, she looks like a pre-1959 model. Just by looking at the hull shape. 1959 models had a major redesign.

Slooted scews don't indicate an era, in my opinion.

Andreas
vernonfarmer

Post by vernonfarmer »

What a lucky boat to have found you, Dan! Obviously, she's in good hands.
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Last Thursday night the club had it,s first meeting of the year to show off this new project. 28 members showed up and had BBQ and offered lots of suggestions and stories.

Everyone was more than excited once they saw this little Cruisers Inc. Leon who had donated her explained that his wife did not feel comfortable on a boat that did not have at least 5' of free board!

We have 6-8 people very interested in working on the boat and will start this Saturday stripping her down.

What a great turnout for a cool January night.

A lengthy discussions was held as to what to do for an engine, this has a pull start 40hp Evinrude, missing some compression release parts. Some where in favor of finding an electric start 35 or 40. More to come.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Let the restoration begin! Saturday am 6 members showed up early with a glint of deconstruction in their eyes. After doing several of these type boats I was amazed at the progress we made in one morning! I will have to make several posts just to cover what happened this morning.

The engine was removed at the meeting and exposed a transom in good condition, an easy refinish.

We began by stripping hardware and removing the windshield. Everything was bagged, tagged and photographed for future reference.

All pulleys and guides were salvageable but the cables were not and would be replaced anyway.
The decks of this boat had been replaced at one time with a poor quality plywood that had been applied with brads and popped off easily. All pieces have been saved for patterns later.

The front seats and jump seats came apart easily and were in refinishable condition. one of the rear supports was made from a thin plywood that we may remake in solid wood.

The front deck popped off easily from under the king plank on the front deck. The king plank is maybe the most machined piece of wood on this boat, with notches for cross members and notches for deck sheets.

It was a shock to see how fast 6 guys could take this little boat apart!
Thanks to Keith,Nick,Andy,Jack,and Raymond!

More to come.....
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

nice work. have you found a hull id stamped into wood of transom or written on any of the components that you have removed?

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Nice work!!! Thanks for all the pictures, keep 'em coming
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Looks like a ton of fun. :D I've shared that same experience (only with an old car). Keep posting the progress :wink:
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Check out our web site at http://www.emcbc.com/
For photos, newletters and info.

Thanks Dan
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

We found stamped number on lower transom starboard side.
7C5499
Andreas, can you tell me anything about this number.
We got lots done today will post some asap
Thanks
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

She's a 1957 Cruisers, Inc. Mariner model 100. With 13'-2" centerline length; 14' gunwale length; 64" beam amid; 61" transom width; 48" long deck; with an average weight of 320 pounds.

This model did not come standard with a windshield. But one could be ordered as an accessory from the factory. Either wrap-around Plexiglas (like on this boat) or wooden framed windshields were available. Hardware was not standard either, but could be added as an accessory.

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

oh boy a 1957 ... that boat sure would look great with a nicely restored 35 hp Evinrude Lark or a Johnson Javeln , those would be the premium top of the line motors for 1957

Joe B
Classicboats4me

Post by Classicboats4me »

What is the best thing to do as regards to adding a floor.I like seeing the ribs and varnish. But maybe some boards need to be added in the middle and in front by the seats? I had a 1958 Thompson that had a plywood painted green floor. That could of been added. But looked original. Any thoughts.... Cheers
Ron Pistohl
Ron Pistohl
1965 Thompson Sea Mate
1975 Yar-Craft Yankee
Oshkosh,Wisconsin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Ron,

Depending on the model of thompson you have that would determine if a floor where standard or not. Let us know what model you are talking about then we maybe able to point you in the right direction.

Phill
Classicboats4me

Post by Classicboats4me »

Hi Phill.
I'm sorry that I was not clear with my previous post.I am wondering about this "Barn Found Boat". Should a floor be put into these smaller models? Gunnel to gunnel, Stem to stern, or just down the middle? Only in the back and not in the front? Is the boat to be keep as light as possible or are people going to be walking inside? For Fishing etc. Steping around at the dock at a boat show?

Are these boat bottoms that don't have a floors,fairly strong to take weight placed on planks when the boat is in the water? I am about 300 pounds and if I am inside one of these boats when she is on a trailer I make sure to only step on keel of stringer.

Question? Should a person put in a floor even tho one was not original?Cheers Ron P.
Ron Pistohl
1965 Thompson Sea Mate
1975 Yar-Craft Yankee
Oshkosh,Wisconsin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/