Bob Speltz Real Runabout books

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

John Hart

Bob Speltz Real Runabout books

Post by John Hart »

Has anyone looked at or purchased any of the BS Real Runabout books?

Just wondering which might have the most about Thompson's, Cruisers, Lymans, etc... maybe none of them....

Any recommendations would be appreciated...

Thanks.

John.
johnpthompson

Post by johnpthompson »

I think it vol4, but there is only one that deals with outboards and it does have chapters on both Thompson strip built and lapstrake boats with pictures. Some of the information is not correct. For example, the motor rating of a boat pictured, etc.

It will be next weekend before I can get to my where my copy is located. On the front cover is a lake scene with outboard boats.

Andreas may be where he can confirm the vol. #.

John Thompson
johnpthompson

Post by johnpthompson »

I just went on the ACBS site and it is Vol. IV. It is available there for thirty dollars.

John Thompson
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Yes, Volume 4 has the most information on outboard boats. It has sections on Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. (one on strip built and one on lapstrake), Cruisers, Inc. and T & T Boats.

It might have a chapter of Lyman, but will be restricted to outboards.

As John said, it is full of inaccuracies. Bless the work done by Bob Speltz, but he was replying on inaccurate information. He did not do much if any fact checking. I never met Bob, but was three term president of the Bob Speltz Land-O-Lakes chapter of the Antique & Classic Boat Society. I know his sister Mary Keating and have been in her home. She has ridden in my Thompson boat too.

Andreas
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Great... thanks for the info fellas......