Ribs on 1961 Seacoaster

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

bmerrills

Ribs on 1961 Seacoaster

Post by bmerrills »

I am in the process of restoring what I believe is a 1961 Sea Coaster, (I will post the hull number etc later when I get a chance). It is my first project, so I am new at this. I am replacing the outer keel, keelsons, garboards, all the ribs, and at least part of the stem, among other things, as well as the transom. A previous owner had attempted repair which included cutting out the middle of the ribs along the keelson/keel and putting an inner layer of plywood on. The outside of the hull was covered with fiberglass over the garboards. This resulted in a lot of wood turning to mush. Also, the rib/keel junction has been cut out so I don't have it for a reference. I believe the ribs go from the gunnel to the keel/keelson and are screwed to the "T" shaped keelson. Andreas article on replacing the keel on the BS Land O Lakes site also seems to show that the ribs end at the keel. Am I correct in this assumption? In other words, the ribs do not go from gunnel to gunnel do they? Thanks. Brad M
________
Ipad guides
Last edited by bmerrills on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have one heck of a project!

Yes, ribs go from gunwale to keelson. They do NOT go from gunwale to gunwale. And yes the ribs are screwed and nailed into the "T" shaped keelson from the underside.

Is she a Peshtigo or Cortland boat?

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Brad, If you would like I have a couple of sheets where I sketched out the factory construction details at the keel/leelson/ rib joints as well as details of repairs I made to a Peshtgo Sea Lancer. Post your email address and I'll shoot you a copy.

Joe B
bmerrills

Post by bmerrills »

That would be great. My email is bmerrills@netonecom.net

It is a Peshtigo boat.
________
LAMBORGHINI MARCO POLO HISTORY
Last edited by bmerrills on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwb65

Post by jwb65 »

Can you forward a copy to me? jwb_65@hotmail.com I need to repair a few ribs on my boat. Thanks!
1957 Thompson Sea Coaster