My new barn find, need Help.

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

woodpigs

My new barn find, need Help.

Post by woodpigs »

Hi! I just picked up a 1961 Thompson OffShore 19Ft. I know I am going to need lots of input while restoring her, but to start with, the boat does not have a drain plug, it is a Volvo Penta I/O. It has a bilge pump. Would it be wise to drill the transom & install one or maybe two trough transom drains? Allso the boat has a 4cyl Volvo BB70 engine that runs, but does anyone know if you can get an adaptor to switch to a 2.5litre GM 4cyl engine. In Lake Tahoe, at 6200 feet, I could use the extra 20 or 30 HP.
Thanks in advance, Rami.
[/iImagemg]
1961 Thompson Offshore
woodpigs

I Forgot!

Post by woodpigs »

Forgot to mention That the plaque on the boat is: Thompson Bros. Peshtigo Wis. Ser# 19921 - The transom # is 10677 Best regards, Rami.
1961 Thompson Offshore
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Nice looking boat!

Hull ID and serial number verify that she is indeed a 1961 model year boat. She actually is in my database already.

I can't answer your engine question.

A drain plug is a nice thing to have. It's you call whether to drill a hole in the transom or not. A venturi type drain thru the bottom planking can also be utilized.

Andreas
woodpigs

Post by woodpigs »

Thanks for the input Andreas!
I have given some thought to the engine swap & I am just going to stay with the stock engine (just rebuild it).
Rami.
1961 Thompson Offshore
john

Post by john »

Looks like there is a thru hull head under the front seat. Are you going to remove or plug it? Does add interest !!!
woodpigs

Post by woodpigs »

At this point I think I'm going to leave it in to keep it original. It is going to come out to revarnish the inside. The seats, floor, engine, windshield, and all other stuff are coming off. I have to check the regulations at Lake Tahoe, as far as leaving it (The head) operational. I hear it is a NO NO! The paint and all other finish is coming off. The front section of the outer keel needs to be replaced. The old one is all dented & dinged up. So far no rot on any wood. Rami.
1961 Thompson Offshore