Align steering wheel and motor

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

dfsuggs

Align steering wheel and motor

Post by dfsuggs »

1959 Thompson 16ft with two cable remote steering. Steering wheel is turned to about 1 or 2 o’clock position when boat is running straight. I tightened up slack in both steering cables, but that did not affect wheel position. How do I align the wheel position straight up when motor is in straight line? Thanks,
David
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Dave,

If you remove the center trim piece fromt he sterring wheel and loosen the nut holding the wheel in place check to see if the wheel has a square keyway in it or if it is on a splined shaft.

If it is a splined shaft you can remove the whell from the shaft and reposition the whell so it is centered when the motor is centered.

If it has a square keyway then you have to work the to center the wheel by changing the position of the motor bracket on the end of the cables at the motor. You can slide the location of the motor bracket one way or the other on the cables to center the motor when the wheel is centered. If you do not have enough cable to move the bracket you will need to change the position of the cable on the steering wheel drum to allow more cable to one side or the other so you can move the motor bracket to center it on the cables when the wheel is centered.

Good Luck,

Phill
dfsuggs

Steering align thanks

Post by dfsuggs »

Phill,
Thank you. I recall now, from several years ago, that the wheel is splined, so I can reorient a few notches and straighten it all up. I think I used a tiny screwdriver to pop out the center medallion. Hard part is waiting for the weekend.
David