Blue paint behind Thompson emblem

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

vaneck

Blue paint behind Thompson emblem

Post by vaneck »

I was just wondering if anyone knew the dimensions for painting the blue that is behind the thompson emblem. My emblems are currently being chromed and i don't have a spare to use as a template and i was hoping to paint before the emblems return to me. I haven't posted in awhile so thought i would post a few pics of our progress. We're almost done.ImageImageImageImage
Eric VanEck
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

THAT.......................!!! is an absolutely beautiful Thompson! :lol: :D :!:

Can't help you with your question though.....
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Hi Eric... really nice job.....

If you don't mind, I have several questions... are the hinges on the seats original...? I have been trying to locate new SS hinges like that and can't find ones like those... the closest I see, are some SS Strap hinges 2"... I bought a couple to get me by until I find ones closer to the original.

Also... did you put new Brass carriage bolts through the transon... I didn't on my boat, and was thinking maybe I should have... Where did you get those...

Thanks.... good luck on your launching.

John Hart
1960 Seacoaster
woodpigs

Post by woodpigs »

Hi Eric! The answer to your question was posted a while ago in the forum.
In the Thompson Paint, finishes, colors, tips. Half way down, " Emblem Parallelogram" (two pages).

One quote by Andreas: "Rod, here's is what someone sent me once regarding the blue trapazoid shape: 60 and 120 degree angles; 15 10/16" long; 3 3/16" tall; with the chromed "Thompson" logo centered in this shape. Andreas"

Hope this helps.
Good luck, Rami.
1961 Thompson Offshore
vaneck

Post by vaneck »

Thanks Rami for the help on the dimensions.

John, the hinges came with the boat in a box of hardware when we got it. So whether they are original or not i couldn't tell you (this being the first thompson my dad and i have restored). As for the brass carriage carriage bolts they are indeed new. We got them from Jamestown Distributors (jamestowndistributors.com). Search: silicon bronze carriage bolt.
Eric VanEck
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Nice finish job!

The hinges on the seats look original and correct.

Andreas
Cruise_N_Style

emblem wood backing

Post by Cruise_N_Style »

Did Thompson ever use a wood backing behind the emblem? My 17' lancer has a 1/4" plywood parallelogram (painted blue) behind the emblem. The plywood backing is attached to the lap in the correct position. I have no idea if it is original.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Nope, not original. The blue was painted directly onto the plywood planking.

Cruisers, Inc. and T & T Boats, Inc. both used a wood piece behind their hullside logo/emblem.

Andreas
Charles Drumm

Post by Charles Drumm »

I have a pint of the blue if your in need. I had it made up by Kirby Paint about two to three months ago.

Chuck 440-463-1100 C