Repairing Veneer

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

57SeaCoaster

Repairing Veneer

Post by 57SeaCoaster »

The veneer on the bow of my Thompson Sea Coaster has split on one side and "wrinkled" on the other. I believe I can open the split seams a bit, put some epoxy in the cracks and the place some weights on them to reseal them. Is this a good way to make the repair?

How do I go about getting the "wrinkles" out of the other side? Is steam ironing an option?

Jack
john

Post by john »

Good question, I have the same problem.
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

I had two places on my Seacoaster that I glued with Smith's All Wood Glue (two part).... I suspect that you could use Smith's Laminating and Layup epoxy, but the wood glue dried nicely overnight.

One spot was on or near where the throttle/gearshift controls were mounted. The layer of the strake most inside to the boat, was delaminated and away from the other layers. In a couple spots it was just a big bubble, and in others it was opened. I held one side opened and paddled in glue with either a toothpick or part of a popsickle stick (I keep a bag of Pop sticks around for epoxy projects..)

Then I put a piece of poly against the wood, put another scrap of wood against that, and either wedged a stick against it, or clamped it, I don't remember. It has held up great.

I had several other small spots on the front deck where the top layer was lifted. I did the same thing, I think with a putty knife to hold open, and a toothpick to put in the All Wood Glue. Then the poly and a few barbell weights....

I tried to keep the excess glue to a minimum, but what was left on the surface, sanded off easily....