Mounting a Power Trim

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Mounting a Power Trim

Post by thegammas »

I am setting up my 1963 100Hp Merc with a 1988 Power Trim and tilt (PT) unit. Of course, the holes for the '88 PT unit do not line up with the holes for the '68's. So I'll drill new ones and plug the olds ones. But here is my question/concern.

The '88 PT unit does not use transom clamps. It bolts flat onto the transom. So, any thoughts as to if this type of mounting is going to add additional stress to the transom? Is there more "leverage" being applied to the transom by the weight of the motor being bolted on flat vs. hanging off by clamps?
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Peter, I have a merc 900 and want to do the same thing you are doing. Ill be watching this closely :)

I don't think its adding stress to the transom but would think you need to treat the holes you drill with something to keep rot from starting.

I would absolutely love and appreciate if you could take a few pictures of whats involved with the later PT&T installation. I have been shying away from using trim/tilt parts that are the age of my motor due to reliability issues.

Thanks!

Evan
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

I will indeeed be posting some pics as I get into the project. Hooping to start in the next few weeks. You will see alot more detail on www.fiberglassics.com in the mercury outpost forum
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Peter, thanks, I picked up a mid 80s power trim unit this weekend for 200 bucks.

Evan
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

I forgot to mention, I have a thread going on northwest classic boats about this if you want to join in too!

http://www.classicboatclub.com/forums/s ... php?t=1499