1938 deck seams, keel sag, ID, and value

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

kdal1

1938 deck seams, keel sag, ID, and value

Post by kdal1 »

I have a 1938? Thompson 16 foot dual cockpit built in Cortland NY. My Questions are
1. I prefer white deck seams. Did any Thompsons have white seams? Would white seams be unacceptable for show purposes?
2. The keel has a slight sag near the bow from sitting on the trailer wrong. Is there any recommended repair methods? is it best left alone?
3. Anyone ever seen one like this before?
4. I am probably going to sell this boat. Could anyone suggest a fair value for this boat?
Thanks in advance for any input you may have.Image
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard! Nice boat.

Since someone has already altered her from original (the two toned deck colours and the deck "bump outs" at stern, glove boxes, bulkhead aft of the rear deck), adding white deck seams is probably not all that bad. Thompson, to my knowledge, never had white deck seams. The decks were stained and varnished.

Tough to know how to respond to the keel sag quesiton.

Value is relative to condition, originality, desirability, and market and economy. It's a really bad time to try to sell anything, especially a classic boat.

Andreas
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

Is there a chance we could see the sag problem? Hard to come up with solution otherwise. She looks pretty cool. I also think it will be hard to get a fair value price in todays market. E-bay has a lot of Thompsons coming through lately and I don't think anyone is getting the numbers they want... Dan