Winshield Height

If none of the above categories fit your question or comment, post it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

PeterZ

Winshield Height

Post by PeterZ »

Hello All

Still not an Thompson owner, but always looking. Looked at a 62 Sea Lancer, Thompson Boat C0. (or so I think, serial #56111). I am a rather tall guy, nothing fits me (6'10"). This was my first time in a Lancer. First thing I noticed is how low the windshield was. The top rail was really in the way, ... kind of a shock. I notice from brochure pictures, the Cortland boats seem to have smaller windshields, ... true? A vertical measurement from the center of the windshield from the top of the GLASS to the dash (measured strraight down, not along the glass) was 14.5". Do WI boats have taller windshields? Is the WI Lancer windshield taller? Are the offshores a better bet for big guys like me. I sat in one once, but forgot how the windhield felt, had lots of leg room though. Kind of too much of a boat for my first project I think, ... but perhaps I should reconsider. Would I be braking some moral code if I made a taller winshield for this Cortland boat, lowered the seat, moved the seat back? Have not bought, but its a steal at $350 or so.

I will post a picture or two if I can figure out how on the restoration side, .. issue with stem.

Regards
Peter
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

IF this is a boat made by Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. at Cortland, NY, hull ID 56111 was shipped on 29 December 1959 to Charleys Marine at Dumont, NY. It is a 17 foot Deluxe model (Sea Lancer). It had vinyl rub rail. This would be a 1960 model year boat.

I know the Cortland windshield frames had side windows that were not as long as those made by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. at Peshtigo, WI. That is obvious from brochure pictures, pictures of presnt day boats I have seen, and the few Cortland boats that I have seen in person. I do not know about the height of the front windows.

You can move the seat or lower it. That will involve some major work. Same goes if you want to rebuild the windshield frame to make it taller.

An Off-Shore is a bigger boat than a Sea Lancer. You might have more clearance with windshield frame on the larger boat.

Also depends upon the year of the boat. A 1957 Sea Lancer is 16'-7" and a 1964 Sea Lancer is 17'-11" centerline lengths (Peshtigo built).

Andreas
PeterZ

Winshield height

Post by PeterZ »

Andreas

Thanks so much for the info. I will pass along to the current owner. What is the major work with the seat move. It looked like it sits on a rail on which it can slide back. I assume it would have to be cut to width a bit as the boat obviously narrows as you go back and the seat fits tight width wids,.... I am preaching to the choir I think :) . I didn't look to hard at the seat.

Guess I will keep my eyes out for an offshore. Thanks again!!!

Regards
Peter