varnish banned from NY ??

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

brian62

varnish banned from NY ??

Post by brian62 »

Hey gang Brian 62 here,long time since ive posted anything.My 1960 Cortland Sealancer is coming along nicely.Im trying to buy varnish in the state of NY but have been told by the folks at Home Depot and another paint store that it has been banned from using it in the state of NY.I can try to order it online easy enough but will they ship it to me is the question. My question is what else can i use?I need to apply something to the bilge area and also the new forward deck im putting on.Paint is not an option. Thank you for any help.. Brian
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Try a marine supply store. And if it's true that it has been banned but you can order it on line just ask them if they ship to NY.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Karl.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I wonder if the Home Depot folks know what their saying????

Why would varnish be banned?

Marine supply sources probably are a better source for marine spar varnish.

Andreas
brian62

Post by brian62 »

Home Depot did"nt have a single can of varnish on the shelf.I drove over to Home Depot in Vermont state 10 miles away and they dont have any either.I would still like to find out if there is a substitute for varnish.The local hardware store employee told me it has been banned because its considered to hazardous and he heard you could be fined up to 25,000 dollars if your caught with it.My goodness what next?
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

I know the there are products being changed due to what is considerd "toxic" and "hazardous" now a days.
The product that I used for years to finish the logs on my house is no longer available. That was a Sikkens product.
As was said before I would go to a Marine supply store or if there is not one near you I would make some calls to one.
Many of the traditional finish's that were used in non boat applications such as wood floors or wood work in houses are now water based. Fumes from the old stuff used to be very toxic. And no one wants to handle disposal of the left overs.
I can no longer get Laquer based automotive paint but I can still get Laquer based Primer. Go fiqure.
Karl.
brian62

Post by brian62 »

Thanks Karl, i guess i will try calling a place like Jamestown Distributors marine supply and some of the other company's advertised in wooden boat magazine first. Im sure if its banned in NY state than local marinas cleared the shelves as well.This sure does set me back a few days as i was planning to varnish the bilge area and the new deck.I guess i would rather have surprises on land than out on the water...Brian
brian62

Post by brian62 »

OK just the latest on the varnish issue in NY.I searched every local marina web site for varnish and came up empty.I then searched Lowes web site in Latham NY and it says it has Cabot brand varnish.I think ill' call them first before i drive an 80 mile round trip and ask them to check the price even though i know it.Then ill' know its there.All the other places i tried don't have it so i am kind of wondering..Brian
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

I found Ace brand Spar Varnish at the local Ace hardware store. It has UV filters and one suggested use is marine. It went on nice and looks great and best of all it was only about $15. This is in Wisconsin but I was having a hard time finding it around here in paint stores and marine dealers without having to special order it. It sounds like there aren't enough of us around for them to keep it stocked. I haven't heard anything about it being banned anywhere. I think they need to look at drugs and a few other things that are illegal and concentrate on that before they worry about taking away things like varnish.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

I would order Interlux Schooner 96 from Jamestown Dist... It was replaced and taken off the market a year or so ago, but I think there must have been an outcry, becuase I noticed it available again....

I prefer that varnish, as does a number of us on this forum.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Did an inquiry at another vintage boat discussion forum. Several folks have recently purchased marine spar varnish in New York and have never heard of it being banned. I bet your big box stores just choose not to carry it and they brushed you off by saying it has been banned.

If a marine store does not have it, you can get many varnish brands via mail order thru places such as Jamestown Distributors, www.classicboatconnection.com, Southern Crown Boatworks and many others.

Andreas