V or spool keel rollers

Suggestions and tips to keep your boat safe when not in the water.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Portside

V or spool keel rollers

Post by Portside »

Replacing the rubber rollers on the trailer. These 4 keel rollers pick-up the load starting at mid-ship forward on my '62 T&T. Flat bunks are from transom to mid-ship. The old rollers are spool and do OK. However, getting the boat up on the trailer dead-center it seems that these spool rollers "walk" the keel on the horizontal part of the roller too much. Will a "V" roller do this too?
My question is: "Which type centers the boat better, V or spool type?"
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Portside,

I have the spool type rollers on all my tailers.
I do not think a V type will be of that much of a help. Infact I think it may cause more problems then it might solve.

When I look at a spool type roller I see a ridge approximately 1/4" to 3/8" in height on each side and a flat surface about 1-1/2" to 2" inbetween that the keel can ride on and support the keel.

I think a V type roller the same width as a spool type would be of such depth that it would press against the hull and possibly cause the hull to ride on the roller edges rather then the keel only.
Also I think trying to center the boat in a V type roller when loading the boat in the water would be the same as a spool type roller.

Those are my thoughts.

Good Luck,

Phill
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

I agree with Phil on this one. The V rollers will put alot of pressure on the planks either side of your keel. V rolllers used more for boats that have a deep V type hull as well as ones that dont have a keel that extends below the hull(fiberglass).
You may be able to fit your trailer with upright guides at the rear that would help to center your hull.
Plus if you are using a winch to help get the boat up on the trailer check your center alignment on that as well. If the hull is walking, some thing is causing it to do that. Bottom of keel unsquare or perhaps bunks not exactly the same height etc.
Hope this helps.
Karl.
Portside

Post by Portside »

Are we all thinking of the keel "V" roller as opposed to the bow "V"? I can not see where the keel "V" would be deep enough to ever touch the garboards along the outer keel. I can see where a "bow V" could be an issue. I am trying to stay away from side-guides. My thought is that the keel V will center the boat since the weight of the boat tends to walk the keel toward the middle of the roller.
Thanks for the input, guys. I know you have much more experience than I. I just wondered if anyone had actually had some experience with both types of rollers.
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

From my personal experiences all of my non Chris Craft wooden boat trailers that have had rollers had the spool type. No V's anywhere, Bow or stern. My Chris Craft traillers were all bunk trailers only. No rollers at all. My fiberglass boat trailers were a combination of both spools and V's.
Karl.
Portside

Post by Portside »

Torchie,

You experience is impressive and therefore I will look for the spool type in replacing the existing black rubber. I have heard the yellow polyurethane spools are the best. Non marking.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

trailerdepot.com is a source for all sorts of trailer stuff.

Andreas