How do you heat your shed?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

sayuncle

Post by sayuncle »

That will be a nice size shed and shop. I was in a friends shop last winter and they had in-floor heating. I could not believe what a difference it made in how warm it made everything in the shop. Just having the warm floor warms everything from the bottom up. My shop with the forced air heater is nice, but by the middle of winter the cement floor is always pretty cool and makes for cold feet after a long day of work. The extra grand of two would have been worth it now. My biggest regret from when I built, except for not being big enough of course.
Brad K
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Pete, My unit is a Cozy brand, model # CF357C. 35Kbtu. I'm very happy with it and it's gone through 4 winters so far without one problem.

As Brad said, the radiant heat in the floor is the tops for comfort, just way too expensive for me to consider. The only down side to floor heat is it has an extremely slow rise time. It's not the best kind to turn down at night, then turn up when you go out to work.

Verne
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Nice looking shops everyone!
In regards to the use of pellet stoves I have a friend that heats with one of those and he complains all the time about the "ash" or dust that it leaves. I was looking into one as they can burn corn as well as cherry pits which are in abundance around my neck of the woods, but didn't like the idea of having to dust all the time.lol Don't know that they would be good to use around drying finish. Anyone else heard of this complaint.
My my ideal shop when I build it will have a "clean" room. Strictly dedicated to the application of finishes.
Karl.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

That style of in the wall heater was very common out in California with there houses built on slabs without basements. When I lived out there back in the early 70's we had a small house, somewhere around 1,100 to 1,300 square feet with three bedrooms, 1-1/2 baths, with a kitchen, dinning and living room combination like a great room today. There was an in the wall heater in the wall between the living room and hallwway outside the main bathroom and bedrooms. Kept the house warm enough on cool winter day and nights. The biggest thing was no airfilter so it currulated the dust when the fan was running much like my ceiling mounted sealed unit in my shop today.

Good Luck,

Phill
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Yes Phil, it does recirculate the inside air. If one would worry about blowing around dust, maybe a filter could be fashioned over the air inlet at the top. If one is doing a lot of sanding or other work that creates dust, I'd recommend it. It would keep the unit cleaner and protect the gas jets in the burner.

Verne :D
vernonfarmer

Post by vernonfarmer »

Update on the heating issue: I went with the pellet stove. Works very well. Just got it hooked up today which was a mild one so it's still untested in really cold weather. Push one button and it ignites itself. Easy install. Three speeds for the blower fan. Unit also has a fan for the exhaust so it is self drafting.
Heat exits into the room from the top vents.
Next will be the insulation project and finally the upside down Cruisers Holiday!