Replace or Repair?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

gaff

Replace or Repair?

Post by gaff »

Is a transom repairable or should it be replaced. Below are photos of the transom and the rotted area.

The rot is confined to the area you see in the photo through to the side cleat on the inside of the boat. This all may have been caused by the spray rail that was missing at the time I bought the boat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62318403@N08/5863337059/

I did not realize until recently that Thompsons had solid wood transoms. This plywood may have been a replacement for the original.

Can I remove the rot and fill with epoxy, then paint and replace the rotted cleat? Or should this all be removed and replaced? If so would going back with plywood be appropriate?

thanks

Steve

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/62318403@N08/5863337059/][/url]
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

I would replace with solid Mahogany. That's one of the great features on these boats.
Carefully remove old transom and use for pattern. Transom on these boats were made up of wide planking and backed by more planks for support. I believe that Phil posted a pic of his so you can see how they are made.
The temptation to repair with epoxy and then paint to hide the repair is great but don't do it.
I don't know where you live but someone should be able to lead you to a source for the wood. And you would need the same tools to replace with plywood as you would for mahogany. Do it right and do it once.
Karl.
gaff

Post by gaff »

Karl

Thanks for the advice. There is a place close by that can find me the wood. I will plan on replacing when I get to it.

Steve
gaff

Post by gaff »

Could someone tell me the overall thickness the original transom would have been?

Thanks

Steve
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Steve,
If you look at Phil's post under the paint and finish section he says that his transom is 7/8 thick backed by a 7/8 thick board which translates to 1 and 3/4 inches and he believe the boards to be about 6 inches wide.
I just went out and measured my Offshore and the thickness is the same as Phil's but my board width is more like 10 and 1/2 to 11 inches in width.My transom is made up of three boards.
One across the bottom. One on top of that that has part of the cut out for the motor and then another one that forms the rest of the cut out.
I think that if you go to the pictorial on flipping a boat it shows a picture of my transom. May be taller than your model.
Karl.
gaff

Post by gaff »

Karl

I appreciate the help. I will check out Phill's post.

Steve
gaff

Post by gaff »

I have planed out the mahogany I will be using to rebuilt the transom.

I have two pieces 7/8" thick and 12" wide to build up a transom about 18" deep.

I am planning to spline the joint with either the same mahogany and epoxy.

Would more joints better(stronger) or stick with the one joint?

Thanks

Steve