1962 19ft thompson offshore

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

hi, looking for a source to buy a few sections of my flooring which is a hardboard/fiberboard, most of the flooring is in great usable condition, a few panels are cracked, a peghole board i assume for ventilation is also in great shape, this stuff is very strong, the hardboard is green in color.

thanks in advance
jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I have never found a source for the tempered hardboard flooring used on the lapstrake Thompson boats. It's not the typical stuff you find at the big box home center or lumber yard.

I have used marine plywood and covered it with Nautolex vinyl flooring material on several boats. I will do this on the '63 Off-Shore that will eventually be restored. The original hardboard flooring was covered with Nautolex. I have also stolen some of the original flooring from a junk boat and used it on another. I have painted it after cutting/fitting.

Andreas
59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

thanks again Andreas, i did find a source of masonite made by duracote, the product is masonite[africa]limited, i emailed the company, they are based in south africa, they have a brown board with a green face, i will buy some and let you know how this product looks.

jeff
jeffrey w. sanderson
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

I was thinking of using marine plywood and cover the tops and sides with White Herculiner Truck Bed Liner. Totally weather proof, textured for non-slip, color wont change, can be scrubed, would seal completely. Then, the undersides treated with CPES.

Whacky?
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
59FLPAN

Post by 59FLPAN »

have not been able to touch base with people that sell the masonite, maybe i will use some 1x3 or 1x4 cedar/fir deck boards instead, what would be a more durable wood to use? also need to find some glass for windshield on the east coast, boston area.

thanks much
1962 20ft american finn runabout
1987 17ft shamrock CC inboard
jeffrey w. sanderson