Bow Eye

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

richnle

Bow Eye

Post by richnle »

I was wondering if anyone has an extra bow eye that they would like to sell, or would know where I could find one. The ring is almost worn through were the trailer strap clips on my 1961 Grady White Hatteras. The bow eye has a single threaded stud going through the stem. Thanks for your help.

Rich
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Rich,

Try West Marine they have then. In fact they have a couple different types shown in their 2011 catolog on page 960.

Good Luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The styles of the new ones you can purchase at West Marine et.al. don't, in my opinion, look good on an old boat. They just do not have the correct shape and appearance.

I might have some vintage ones from Thompson of Peshtigo boats in my boxes. I know I have never cannabilized a Grady-White. So I do not know how close the ones I might have are to a G-W piece. With my move, however, finding anything is a BIG challenge.

Pole Building construction at my new place is SUPPOSED to start on 05 December 2011. I am not holding my breath. Once built, I can start sorting and storing stuff in some semblance of order.

Andreas
richnle

Post by richnle »

I would prefer to find one from the period if I can, even if there is some difference between the Grady and Thompson ones. I understand how hard it is to find anything right after a move. Once you get things sorted out Andreas, please keep me in mind in case you see anything. Thanks.

Rich
seagull

Post by seagull »

Do you have a picture of the one you are looking for?
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Rich,
Post a pic if you can. I have a couple laying around from boats of that era that were scrapped out.
If I can get to them I will pm you with a pic and you can decide if you want to use them.
Have a great thanksgiving everyone.
Karl.
richnle

Post by richnle »

Thank you Karl. I appreciate the help.

Not the best photo, but this is what I have right now:

[/img]Image
By richnle at 2011-11-22

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Rich,
The bow eye in your pic looks very much like the one on my 1955 Thompson.
I went out to the boat shed and found one of the bow eyes that I have but it is of a newer style like the ones that you can currently buy. So I don't think that this will help you.
Haven't been able to find the other one,so don't hold your breath.lol.
Don't know about your area, but the water was frozen in the dogs waterbowl this morning so i am thinking that one will be found before you have to use the boat again :lol:
Karl.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Found 'em! Here is the bow eye. I think the smaller ones are transom eyes. The larger one is pretty beat up. Shaft is 1/2 inch diameter and 4 1/2 inches long and bent!. Inside diameter of eye is 1 3/8 inches and outside diamter is 2 1/4 inches.

She has yellow paint on her so I think she came from a Thompson (Peshtigo) Sea Lancer.
Andreas
richnle

Post by richnle »

Wow - that was quick! Thank you both.

The large one in the photo would work, but let me think about it and see if anything else in a little better shape materializes. As Karl mentioned - there is no rush unless I intend to strap ice skates on the bottom of the boat to use her. That would not do much good either since the boat is currently upside down waiting for a new keel to go on.