16' Cruisers, Inc Seafarer Project

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Ron P

Great job!

Post by Ron P »

Everything looks great.
I'm following this restoration closely as not many people go with the "vinyl Clad Design" of these Cruisers Inc. Great sporty looking model. You can't go wrong with red.. I have a 62 Cruisers catalog in a picture frame in my Den/Garage... A red Vinyl 15 ft. Mariner boat is on the cover....

I've come across 2 red vinyl boats in the past and both had red paint inside of the Cruisers Inc. side logo's. It looked to be original.
Ron Pistohl
64 Cruisers Inc. 17 ft,W/64Johnson 90hp

65 Thompson 15 ft.W/65 Evinrude 40hp
Appleton,Wisconsin
Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

I debated doing his boat in canvas or wood decks for a long time and decided to stay with original trim and style. I know a lot of people think that all wood boats should have varnished decks and I personally like that look also but this era of Cruisers Inc.s were delivered in canvas. I believe there was an attempt by the builders to hide the fact that they were wood as the competition increased from fiberglass. After a lot of going back and forth I decided to stay with canvas to stay as original as possible.
Here are some views of Melissa and I applying the canvas.
Decks faired
Sanding decks
Final faring
Glued deck surface, applied canvas, staple edge
Melissa trimming out
Melissa finishing staples
Final decks, pretty close to photo shop version!
I am very pleased and ready to start on floors and interior trim. I am currently polishing rub rails and installing awaiting black rubber inserts.
The windshield is coming next!!
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

My Cortland Custom Sea Lancer has canvas decks. I like the varnished wood look, but I am sure I'll appreciate what I hope is the reduced maintenance. I dont suppose you would restore it for me? (only half a joke there). As usual, awesome job.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Ron P

Vinyl or canvas?

Post by Ron P »

Hey Dan !
Couple quick question's here.

I'm going to put teal vinyl/canvas on my Sea Mate project also.
Who is your supplier? Do they have teal?

(The light blue that is on a 63 Thompson is hard to locate too!)

What kind of glue did you use?

Some pictures are at this link.
Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/915587549

I prefer a metal or Plexiglass windsheild on a Vinyl clad boat. It just looks sporty :D Fun and Fast.
Ron Pistohl
64 Cruisers Inc. 17 ft,W/64Johnson 90hp

65 Thompson 15 ft.W/65 Evinrude 40hp
Appleton,Wisconsin
Photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Ron
I used a marine grade upholstery vinyl that I got from a local supplier, it was the only way to match the colors that I wanted. They had hundreds of colors and shades. The finish is a matte/leatherette texture. I am sure that it is not as durable as real marine decking but now I can make seats out of same vinyl. They had multiple shades of teal/blue.
I am going to use a black/white textured flooring in hull with red trim.
I used a outdoor glue for indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot, I used t on my 20' and it has held up well.
My boat has a wooden windshield with flip open windshields, a must in Texas.
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
jim hays

deck covering

Post by jim hays »

Dan just a question does the covering on the deck have some kind of trim that goe over where the red and white come together. Jim Hays
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Yes, there is a stainless strip that covers seam in front of windshield and a small piece that goes aft from windshield.
I am awaiting vinyl for flooring, I am using a textured nautolex black and white called shark.
I tilted her up today and rinsed her out, not a drip came out anywhere!!!
Will have some more photos soon.
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Drat---doh I used indoor-outddor carpet glue to put down cream vinyl on my deck and it bled through!!! I have used this glue with a lot of marine vinyls and have not had a problem with bleed through. The material that bled is a marine seat vinyl and I guess it did not have as thick a backing as regular marine vinyl.
If it has bled through red I cannot see it.
I am going to redo the cream in the Shark marine vinyl that I have finished the floors with, no problem with bleed through with this.
Dang learn things the hard way! I will have some new photos soon.
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Well after a little experimenting I may be able to save deck vinyl for now, seems that the glue bleeding through vinyl is still able to be washed off with laquer thinner. It seems to clean most of it off, but time will tell.

I replaced rub rail insert with new vinyl both on outside rub rail and inner cockpit rib rail, really looks nice.

Melissa and I covered floor panels with Nautolux Shark and wow
does it look great.

Finally added windshield and hardware, I have yet to put new coat of varnish on windshields themselves. Some new rubber trim around glass
and its finished.

She is really getting near completetion, I am awaiting bow light from chrome shop and need to finish up a few wiring details. I washed the hull out the other day and only had one drop from the bottom!

I do not have a convertible top or bows for this boat. anyone have an extra? or at least dimensions for one?
She may get launched this weekend!
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Dan,

It is looking GREAT!

Are you planning on bring it up to the ralley next August? Sure would be nice to see it up close and personal.

Looking good,

Phill
a j r

Post by a j r »

I agree, she looks beautiful!

The Thompson Boat Rally is slated for 8-10 August 2008. Mark your calendar and start making plans!

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Dan, as always, fabulous - What is the flat piece of wood across the top of the windshield? A visor of some kind? A finish plank? Just curious. I also like the trim boards along the edges of the floor.
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Peter,
That is top of the windshield frame, my 20' has exact style windshield. I guess thats a Cruisers Inc style as I have not seen that on any Thompson. The windshields are just setting in place in photo and will eventually rise up to hinges.
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

Thanks Dan, I like the look of the windsheild with that piece across the top. Gives it a finsihed look. Your boat is looking great. Gives me inspiration to rip apart my garage, insulate it, rewall it, heat it, and ground up restore my Cortland Sea Lancer this winter. I've got some structural issues to address (new ribs and the like) and I'd like to strip, fare, and repaint the lapstrake. What I suspect I'll end up doing is setting in some beefy, bit not visible, bracing and running the boat for decades before I restore it (please dont rebuke me publically Andreas). But a man can dream cant he?
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Cleaned up windshield frames and added a new coat of varnish to an existing varnish finish in very good shape, just needed a fresh coat.
I documented the job as I went through the process.

I cleaned old rubber seal by soaking in Easy Off Bam then scraping old varnish and discoloring off with the edge of a sharp razor, They look like new!

I also broke off toothpicks in the old holes to help give the screws better purchase.

It is great to see her come back to finish condition, I picked up new chrome from shop today but they did a crummy job on the bow light so I am going to try and get them to do it over.
Dan Stober
Weatherford, Texas