Gas leakage on stopping

Maintenance issues you will want to know.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jdconnel

Gas leakage on stopping

Post by jdconnel »

Well, now that I have my impeller taken care of, I have a new problem.

When I started the engine, I got it to run fine for a little bit, killed it and found gas pouring out of (item 107 / 108 for those with Javelin parts manuals) the seams of the air silencer.

Something tells me this is wrong.
I have little experience with boat motors (I am mechnically inclined) but have no iea where to start on this one.
I'm wondering if I have a worn gasket somewhere, or need to do a carb rebuild.

Or is this a symptom of a stuck float??

Or am I just starting my boat wrong, with the throttle wide?
Honestly. I'm dumb at the moment when it somes to boats..... give me a truck... well!

Any of you local WI boys framiliar? and or willing to assit for beer. Heck, my wife will even make you dinner :)
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

JD, It sounds like you have a float that is hanging up. Would probley be a good idea to take the carb off, clean it and rebuild it. Or take it in and have the motor tune up by a pro. It may cost a few bucks but is well worth it. I took both of my '57 Evinrudes into have then tuned by the pro right after I purchased then just to be sure everything was up to snuff. Now I do the tunes when needed but feel that the guy I take them to a Valley Marine in Neenah is honest and does a very good job and has the parts needed and the know how to get the job done right the first time.