'64 ThomBoy Wood Deck Option

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Woody

'64 ThomBoy Wood Deck Option

Post by Woody »

I'm considering not covering the decks with vinyl when restoring my ThomBoy. I'm told wood or vinyl were options at no additional cost.
I need a picture or description of deck and side rail configuration to restore this properly.
I have seen Lancers with the rail lip above the deck. I have not seen any ThomBoys.
Note: Areas of decay at deck/rail/top planks all relate to vinyl. Decay below seams. Decay below deck hardware. Numerous water intrusion areas. Kind of like stucco issues: moisture gets in but can't get out.

I'll consider vinyl if someone can outline steps to prevent decay. Is this an application for penetrating epoxies?
Thanx
Rick Anderson

Post by Rick Anderson »

I didn't see the response to this post. I also have a '64 Thomboy, and was wondering if there was ever an option for a mohogany deck on this model. I have the brochures from that year, and there is no evidence there that this was an option. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Rick Anderson
1964 Thompson Bros. of Peshtigo
16'7" Thomboy
Clinton Township, MI
Woody

Optional wood or vinyl

Post by Woody »

Rick
I had a couple people post pictures of Thomboys with wooden decks. The boats were not '64's that I recall.
Someone had told me wood or vinyl were options. No additional cost for either.
Turns out my boat is a '65. The transom has two numbers. The '64 number is "X" out and an additional number with "65" stamped.
I do not plan on installing vinyl when restoring.
Larry
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

If your hull ID starts with "65", that does NOT indicate a 1965 model year boat.

The 1965 brochure of Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. definately states that varnished wood decks were an option vs. vinyl for all models (on the bottom of page 3).

I see no such evidence of such a staement in the three verisons of the 1964 brochures. However, I would bet that varnished decks were optional. I had a '64 1700-XL. All indications in the brochures were that she had an aluminum framed windhield. Well, the boat had a wooden windshield frame. I am sure it was custom ordered that way. So...things were not always done per what the brochures and price lists indicated. And customizing was always done.

Andreas