Looking for the right color

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JWR0720

Looking for the right color

Post by JWR0720 »

HELLO, I recently purchased a 1957 Thompson 17ft. from a gentleman on Lake Seneca, New York. The number stamped on the transom is 52225 The boat is solid but needs to be refinished, thats where I hope you can guide me (stain varnish hull paint). This project is very important to me. I lost half of my right hand in a accident 2 years ago which caused me to lose my career as an electrician. I am rebuilding my life and this project is a major part of it. SO any guidence anyone can offer about the boat I would GREATLY APPRECIATE THANKS PS ALSO if anyone knows the correct power plant, it now has a 1966 Evinrude 65 hspr.
BETTERDAYS
john

Post by john »

Paint no idea. Maybe get a flake of the original under a piece of hardware and color match.

Engines if Johnson or Evinrude in 57 the biggest was a 35 hp. Go to www.old-omc.de for old catalogs and pictures and specs, great site.

Also checkout www.aomci.org for help with locating engines, parts, and know how. Oddly enough most of the parts for 57 35 hp engines can be purchased new at you local Evinrude dealler. If not call Margret at NorthShore Marine in Houston, 712 453 6341, she has a lot of old new parts. Even odder is most tune up parts can be purchased at your local NAPTA auto parts dealer!!!!!!!!

Welcome and good luck!
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard!

Good luck with the boat.

Where was the boat made? Is there a serial number plate giving the name of the manufacturer and location? This is very important to be able to interpret the hull ID you mentioned. Peshtigo and Cortland had different systems.

The "52225" you mentoned would indicate a 1945, 1955, or 1965 boat if built at Peshtigo. If Cortland built "52225" would indicate 1952 model year. Altho Cortland did change their hull ID system in the late 1950s and that code has not been broken.

Thomspon Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. did not have a 17 footer in 1957. In '57 the Sea Lancer (new that model year) was 16'-7" centerline length. The Off-Shore was about 18'-0".

I have a 1957 Peshtigo built Thompson Sea Lancer.

Pictures can help to identify the boat. You can post 'em here or email them directly to me at: thompsonboat@msn.com

Try to find a match to the existing stain. Look for an unfaded area. Z-Spar Standard Mahogany may be a good bet. As for varnish, use any good quality marine spar varnsih. I happen to use Interlux Schnoor 96 varnish. Do not use polyurethane.

If she is a 1957 Sea Lancer, white was the standard hull paint colour. If 1958 she was painted lemonade yellow. White was the basic colour used on most models over the years.

Andreas