half round

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

skip7083

half round

Post by skip7083 »

Can anyone recommend a source for the mahogany half-round for a '59 Sea Lancer? Mine suffered a couple feet of damage when a dock line worked loose.
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

If you only need a couple of feet... and even if you don't have a round over bit for your router you could form the half round on the edge of a wider board using a hand plane and sand paper. Then rip saw off the formed edge to give you the correct thickness of molding.
Joe B
johnmilne

Post by johnmilne »

I needed to replace all my half round moulding on a 1956 sea coaster.
I could not find Mahogany 1/2 round locally. I placed a order at R.A.V millwork (see link below) and received my order in 1 week. They had to send 8' sections to get it on UPS.

http://www.ravsupply.com/home/rs1_12088 ... ounds.html

JMM
skip7083

half round

Post by skip7083 »

Thanks for the tips. How do you recommend you scarf in a section so that it looks decent? I assume you probably wouldn't want butt joints. Should you try to cut it on a 45 as you would a chair rail moulding?
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I assume you are talking about the half round trim that seperates the painted portion of the hull planking form the varnished upper most plank (shearstrake).

I described on this forum how I made new material using 3/4" Philippine mahogany boards. Router, table saw, hand saw, and hand sanding did it all. I made all new material for a '59 Peshtigo Sea Lancer. Turned out beatifully!

I don't know if I could find that posting from about 1 1/2 years ago.

Andreas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I should add - I had lumber in 8 or 9 foot lengths. Therefore I had to scarf glue end to end to get the approximately 18 ft. I required. I also steam bent the portion at the bow to bend it around the curve of the hull.

Andreas