What is involved in pulling an I/O

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

bosshoff

What is involved in pulling an I/O

Post by bosshoff »

I have a 1960 era Cortland 20 foot fishing boat with the Volvo-Penta I/O. I have been in the process of restoring this boat since I was 16. (I am 38 :oops: ) I am thinking of how to flip the boat. I have to make some deck repairs first, but am trying to come up with the right plan/order. How involved is pulling out an I/O motor? I have a Bobcat and a other equipment, so the lifting part is taken care of. I am wondering about what needs to be done to remove it, and then what needs to be re-done to reinstall it. Are there gaskets that will need to be replaced? How does it come out? Do you seperate the drive from the motor? I have not really looked at it too closely, there is just so much more I am doing right now. Can anyone say Racoon poop? Thanks.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I know very little about inboard/outboards. But I am sure you will have to remove the outdrive to get the engine out of the boat. How it's done is unknown to me.

I bet the "boot" will have to be replaced too. This is the rubber membrane outside of the transom.

Andreas