1967 Thompson Super Thomboy

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Matthew

1967 Thompson Super Thomboy

Post by Matthew »

I am in the process of aquiring a 1967 Super Thomboy to restore, it is not in bad shape primarily needing decks and seat rebuild, the hull is sound, ribs uncracked, has the original 100 HP Mercury motor and a nice Holesclaw trailer. Can someone help me with the vynal deck cloth? Where do you get it, were Super Thomboys made with Mahogany decks as well and what exactly is a Super Thomboy anyway? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Matthew[/b]
Matthew
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard!

There is no Super Thomboy in the 1967 brochure and price list of Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. Have you verified the year via the hull ID (stamped into the wood of the transom) and the serial number (on the metal manufacturer's plate)? Note that the hull ID and serial number are different.

1965 was the last year that the Super Thomboy was in the product line.

The Super Thomboy is just a larger version of the Thomboy model.

Post the hull ID and serial number here and I can help in determining the year. Do NOT pay any attention to what a title or registration says. Look at the boat itself to find these numbers.

Andreas
Matthew

Super Thomboy

Post by Matthew »

Andreas,
Thankyou for the response, I have not checked the hull #s, however the dash emblem states Super Thomboy. I'll get the #s and reply, Thanks again.
Matthew
Matthew
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The "Super Thomboy" was offered in the 1963, 1964, and 1965 model years only. According to the brochures and price lists.

Andreas
Matthew

SUPER THOMBOY

Post by Matthew »

Andres,
I have finally had the chance to get the hull I.D. # and the serial # for this boat. The title states 1967 and has a bunch of numbers, but the hull # stamped into the wood inside the stbd side of the transomis N 31059 (the next digit is hard to read either an A or a 4) the serial # tag looks as good as new and that # is 23648. I hope that this helps to determine the year and anything else pertaining to this boat. I work at a wooden boat restoration shop here in central Fl so it shouldn't be to hard getting her back together. I appreciate any help, Thankyou.
Matthew
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Okay went back to the shop to check the serial # tag, the boat was made in Peshtigo, Wis, it has vynal decks with a white stripe down the center and a hatch. If this boat was available with varnished wood decks I would prefer to do it that way, if not with vynal if I can find it. Any help with I.D. and other info greatly appreciated. ( Sorry for misspelling your name, Andreas).
Matthew
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

She is a 1963 model year boat. Both the hull ID and serial number confirm this.

"N 31059 A" indicates this is the 1,059th boat (of all models) made in the model year ending in "3". The "3" must either be 1953 or 1963. The "N" and "A" are codes for the guys in the factory that were in charge of getting this particular boat out the door. "N" was the "builder" and "A" was the trimmer. "A" was Bill Luedtke - who still lives at Peshtigo. I don't know who "N" was.

The serial number verifies that this is a 1963 model year boat.

So, the state paperwork is wrong. That is not surprising. Registrations, titles, bills of sale, and memories are notorious for being incorrect.

The Super Thomboy price was $1,795.00 in 1963. This compares to $1,350.00 for the Thomboy and $1,550.00 for the Super Lancer.

You can purchase Thompson Boat et.al. brochures and prices lists on a CD-ROM from www.dragonflycanoe.com and www.wcha.org

1963 was the first year that Thompson Bros. Boat had vinyl covered decks on certain models. Anything was possible, so maybe one could have ordered the Super Thomboy with stained and varnished decks. I know that the 1965 brochures indicates that vinyl covered decks were standard on open models but that stained and varnished decks were optional.

Come on up to the 6th Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally 8-10 August 2008 at Marinette, WI. It is a fun event, NO judging and NO awards.

Hope this helps.

Andreas
thompsonboat@msn.com
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thankyou, Andreas, I would love to join you all up there we shall see how time permits with deliveries in the shop. It amazes me how few Thompsons are in Florida, still I'm happy to have found one. Any help finding the vinyl deck covering would be greatly appreciated. I need blue and white. Thankyou.
Matthew
kevx

Post by kevx »

Matthew, You can check out txcaptndan's restoration of his 63 cruisers inc here: http://www.thompsondockside.com/views/v ... php?t=1244 . In it he can be seen doing the vinyl on his decks. He used a local supplier for the vinyl, but a quick goggle search for MARINE VINYL shows tons of suppliers.

BTW: I hope to pick up my boat in about 2 weeks, so you'll know of another Florida Thompson soon. I'm in Spring Hill, home of the Weeki Wachee mermaids! :wink:
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thanks for the tip, I have called a few of the suppliers but they all stock upolstery type material none had the viny for the decks. I will check out the Txcapndan project. I am in Mount Dora & work at Rejuvenation Woodworks, a class A wooden boat restoration shop in Eustis if you ever need any service. ( Our supplier has nat been able to locate the sane deck material either. Thanks again.
Matthew
kevx

Post by kevx »

Oh, I see. I didn't know that there was a difference between those vinyl materials.

Thanks for telling me about your workplace, but I'm a poor boy, so the only work will be done by the MemyselfandI boatworks. :wink:
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The same goes for me, I don't have the resources those Chris Craft owners do my work will be done by myself. There are certainly numerous vinyls available but I am trying to find the original type material otherwise I will go with stained and varnished decks, might look better anyway. Good luck.
Matthew
Ron P

A super thomboy

Post by Ron P »

Last edited by Ron P on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thats the boat alright and hopefully I can put her back in that condition. BEAUTIFUL !!
Matthew
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Now that I have seen those photos I am desperate to find the correct deck vinyl and I would love to see a more detailed photo of the wood compartment or whatever it is between the rear seats. I believe I have all the parts to restore this boat with the exception of the deck vinyl and whatever that is between the rear seats. Thanks for the photos.
Matthew