Super Thomboy Garboard Planks

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Matthew

Super Thomboy Garboard Planks

Post by Matthew »

Well it looks like my '63' Super Thomboy will be getting a lot more work than I expected. With the floors out I found some questionable looking garboard planks and when rinsing the hull ouy found quite a bit of leakage at the fwd end. Apparently the boat sat with water in the bow for quite some time, I will have to scarf 18 rib ends in as well as they are black with rot. I am determined to bring this boat back to life, any tips or suggestions as to effecting these repaires welcome. I imagine that to replace the whole garboard that I will have to scarf two 3/8 sheets of marine ply together to get the length, fun times ahead! :?
Matthew
HalcyonDays

Post by HalcyonDays »

What is the general feeling about scarfing rib ends as opposed to replacing the whole rib? I know from my experience it would be a whole lot easier than replacing; but are they as strong?
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I would be interested in hearing opinions on scarfing as opposed to whole rib replacement, for me it would be easier to scarf as they are all short straight sections, I do have a steam box if needed. As long as the strength is as good epoxied and through bolted I'll scarf them. :?
Matthew
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I would think that scarfing is a fine option if it's just a few ribs here and tehre. If it's a bunch right next to each other I would be leary. And if that's what you do, don't make the scarfs all in the same general area. Move it up or down the rib on adjacent ribs.

Be careful with epoxy - it doesn't like white oak from what I understand.

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

I have successfully scarfed a number of rib ends on my Sea Lancer. This was done 7 - 8 years ago with much use in the interum... no problems. Be sure to make a good long well fitting scarf joint, at least 2 inches long. I used epoxie for the joint only. When replacing the wood screws that go thru the planks into the ribs, I made one change, at the center of the scarf joint I used one 6-32 flat head machine screw and nut rather than a wood screw. This acted to clamp and secure the epoxie joint. So far all is well... no problems with the epoxie joints or fastenings.

Joe B
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thanks for the input, all my ribs with problems are in the bow from being left nose down with water in it. I plan on through bolting the scarf joints with epoxy, but now I'm thinking I shouold stagger the scarf joints. This is als9o the area that is bad on the garboard planks but I am planning on replacing both completely. The project has gotten a little bigger than I first thought, but it is still very doable. Thanks again for the input, the gunnell and sheer plank will be done first so I can put the boat partially together before I flip it over.
Matthew