CPES in the Bilge

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

CPES in the Bilge

Post by thegammas »

This weekend past I was finally able to steal time to work on the boat - I have had it apart for awhile waiting for the opportunity to clean and prep the Bilge for CPES. It's a preservation move until the year comes along that I can do some more robust resto work.

I removed the stringers as they were so loose that all they were doing for the boat was adding weight, and two needed replacing (I'll of course put some new ones in). I first used a wire brush to clean off the build up on the frames; dirt, surface rot, and old finish. Lots of brushing did little. The next day I was scraping paint off of one frame when I realizes that a 1" wide, slightly dulled paint scraper was Ideal for cleaning all the above mentioned off the frames, down to solid or reasonably solid wood. Usually two or three light passes removed 1/16th to an 1/8. Scraped all frames and some areas of the keel/sisters.

I laid in three quarters of a gallon to a gallon of CPES with brushes. She just kept drinking it up. Did all the unpainted area (I really wish the previous owner had not painted the interior of the boat). Also treated the stem cap and part of the keel cap where I was making some repairs. Also treated the end grain of the planks at the transom.

I tell you what, they are not kidding when they say you cant breath that stuff. The fumes would over power an elephant in minutes, and I had some major ventilation running. I wore a vapor mask, eye, and hand protections start to finish.

It's been about 24 hours since I finished and it's well on the way to curing given our temps these days.

Not sure these pics will show much but here you go. Oh, and yes - that starboard sister needs repair before any floors go in.

Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Great Work Peter. God is in the details.
If your bottom has good shape then replacing stringers should really strengthen everything. Are you going to varnish over cps?
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Hmmm - I hadnt considered varnishing - I dont think so, not at this stage. If I ever restore the interior to a varnished finsh I would then, or paint the bilge "Chris Craft Bilge Red".

You can see in the pics where I missed a few spots under the frames - I'll hit those up this week. We'll be gone all next week, so by the time I return it should be fully cured.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware