information on Thompson boat

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

tcvc

information on Thompson boat

Post by tcvc »

I recently picked up a Thompson wood boat made in Cortland New York. I found the ID tag metal attached to the inside of the transom. It has a serial number of 54319 and says Thompson Sons Cortland New York. I'm assuming the 54 is the year would the 319 be the model?? I'm going to try to get some pics and messurements from bow to stern and the beam width. My guess is it's about a 16ft. It is a lapstrake design and came with a plexaglass windshield. I'm hoping this is the right windshield and someone hasn't converted it from a wood one. I haven't seen any plexy winshields on the lap strakes around here (New York)
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard!

The tag says "Thompson Sons"??? Are you sure???

It should either say "Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co." or "Thompson Boat Co. of New York, Inc." This is important information.

And no, "54319" does NOT indicate 1954 and model 319.

IF she was built prior to about 1959, the 5 indicates that this is the 6th year of this particular model being in the product line. The 4 is the last digit of the model year, 1954. The 319 indicates she was the 319th boat of all models made that year.

Thompson at Cortland changed their ID system several times after 1959. I have not been able to make heads nor tails of it however.

Pictures are helpful.

Andreas
thompsonboat@msn.com
tcvc

here's the pictures, what do ya think I have here ??

Post by tcvc »

Hello, Ok I hope the pictures show up we had some trouble loading them.Sorry bout the name it is Thompson & bros not Sons, I don't know how I came up with that, but some how with the mere 200 ft walk from the barn to the house I managed to mess it up. I din't get the messurements yet, please let me know if you still need them. I think I may be missing part of the bench seat, does anyone have a picture of this model boat, I sure could use a copy of it. Did it have a plexy winshield or a wood one or none at all?? sorry up til now I've been a Lyman man so this although similar is different. Like all the little screws and nuts for the lap strake, holey cow, now that had to take a while. Please review the pictures if they come out and any information you can provide me would very helpful. regards,
Tim Image[/img]
tcvc

Try again on the pictures

Post by tcvc »

tcvc

ok here's the boat size any ideas

Post by tcvc »

Ok the pictures are inthe previous posting the boat size is as follows bow to stearn 15' 3" beam at widest point 66".I hope this helps. Does anyone have an idea what model this is ??
thanks for your help.
Tim
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

I am no expert (to say the least) but based on the transom and the sheer strake my bet is that it's a Sea Lancer (my lancer has that same transom board at the bottom). But the early sixties lancers out of NY ran in the 17 foot range. Sure about the LOA?
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware