Transom boards are separated-compression?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Woody

Transom boards are separated-compression?

Post by Woody »

Looking to tasks ahead of me. There are gaps between the boards on my transom. I recall in one of Danenberg's books he mentions solid planks compressing against each other when they swell from moisture. Then when dried they separate.
I will most likely remove transom. If I do this I'm thinking I'll need to rebuild with new wood. Plan to apply 3M 5200 between vertical and horizontal ply's of transom.
Any words of caution or wisdom from those having worked with transoms?
Removal/rebuilding/installing?
john

Post by john »

I took my transom apart, it unscrewed and practically feel apart. I ran it thru a thickness planner to clean in up till flat, less than a 3/32 a side. re glued with epoxy, and new silicon brass screws. Not a problem after 5 years and 100+ hours of use.
Woody

Transom with plywood

Post by Woody »

Thanx John
I'm thinking about putting marine plywood between the boards when I rebuild. Thought is that this will create a tighter (water) and stronger transom.
Did your transom have gaps between the boards when you rebuilt?
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I will probably add a layer of marine plywood (meranti or okume) between the two layers of solid Philippine mahogany lumber when I rebuild the transom on my 1959 Thompson (Peshtigo) Off-Shore Cabin Cruiser. I have to replace all the solid lumber.

This will add strength in my opinion and not detract from the original appearance.

Andreas
Woody

Post by Woody »

Andreas
Would you use the original boards or replace?
I will have to caulk/fill gaps if I come back with the old.
Yes, the idea to use plywood come directly from one of your posts.
What bonding agent did you use between ply and wood?
Larry
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

On the particular boat, I will use all NEW wood. The existing wood is rotten to the core.

Probably will use 3M 5200 adhesive to bond everything together. In addition to silicon bronze screws.

Andreas
john

Post by john »

Rusty

They had small crack/separations, especially from the top. Small crack horizontally also. Planning solved the crack/separation for top, used epoxy for glue, invisible glue line. I cut a grove horizontally between planks about the size of a 3/32 o'ring, then filled it with 5200 to act as an o'ring.

Five years, 8000 miles trailering and 150 hours, not a problem. Cruiser's sits in boat lift about 4 months a year. Not a show boat, definitely a user.