Rubrail

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Arnie Brulhardt

Rubrail

Post by Arnie Brulhardt »

At one time there was a place that supplied the rubrail for Thompsons, they advertised on this site. I have a 1963 SeaCoaster and would like to replace the white rubrail, also the stainless strip that's inside. Thanks
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Arnie,

I do not recall anyone selling rubrail materials and advertizing on this site. There is someone selling the rubber strip to hold the glass into the window frame for the windshield and the strip that goes between the windshield and the deck.

But you can check with Wefco Rubber in California. They might have the profile you are looking for.

Good Luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Wefco Rubber is the place to go for vinyl needs. Ask for Pete.

The aluminum insert (not stainless steel) can be obtained at almost any metal extrusion place.

Andreas
Arnie Brulhardt

Thanks guys, I e-mailed Pete and he asked me to send a cross section diagram with measurements so he is sure that they match.

Arnie
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

If this is a Peshtigo built boat, the rub rail vinyl from Wefco should be #0109G.

Andreas
HalcyonDays

Post by HalcyonDays »

I am looking for the windshield gaskets for a 1960 Sea Lancer (Cortland). The gaskets that came with the boat are grey and look like they may have been for an aluminum door; so I do not have a profile to go from does anyone know the number for these gaskets?
Arnie Brulhardt

Thanks Andreas:

I gave Pete that number and he said he would mail me a cross section diagram with measurements to be sure. It would be nice if it worked!

Arnie
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

HalcyonDays,

I would think the rubber strip that was used on the Thompsons Peshtigo would work under the windsheild frame on your Courtland boat also.
There is a person selling it on this site under the "BoatHouse" tab.

Phill
Charles Drumm

Post by Charles Drumm »

Arnie,
Just caught up with the recent email threads and thought I would reply to your rubrail inquiry. I bought about 80 ft. of the material over two years ago and sold it to a guy in Michigan two months ago. I decided not to use the white rubrail with the aluminum insert. I have installed 1" wide cavity back style stainless steel on my 1963 Sea Lancer that I've been restoring the last 18 months.

I know the purists will mutter that it's not original, but it looks much better. It gives the boat a more finished and classier look. Using the stainless you get rid of the lip that overlaps the deck. During my restoration, many areas hidden behind the rubrail had deteriorated badly which leads me to believe water was bring trapped. Trapped water and fasteners. I replaced all of the mahogany on the boat, including the windshield frames, the only exceptions being the transom and splash well fold down fascia. It was all deteriorated.

In any event, take a look at some of the older boats with stainless or chromed rub rails. They look good.

Regards, Chuck Drumm