how to buy wood

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dreamer

how to buy wood

Post by Dreamer »

I am getting ready to make my order for white oak for stringer replacement. I have made a steamer and expect to try my hand at the bending process soon. (did this only once 20 years ago) The ribs measure at 5/8" thick and 1 1/8" wide. Would it be best to purchase oak planed to 5/8" and rip to 1 1/8", or can I get by with 1 1/8" and edge cut to the desired 5/8"?
I am not sure which would bend best with the least chance of breaking.
Larry B
The difference between a professional and an amateur is the Professional knows how to cover his mistakes, the amateur gets another board.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Not sure I understand your question. You mention stringers and then ribs. Quarter sawn is probably the best for bending rib stock but it is not 100% necessary. Flat sawn will work too.

There is no bending involved in the stringers that run parallel to the keelson (also called sister keelsons by Thompson Boat).

Make certain you get all-heartwood white oak. Don't use any sap wood - it is not decay resistant. Also do not use red oak.

Andreas
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

Amazing, read and reread before posting and I still misspoke. :oops: Stringers have nothing to do with my question. The price of wood is down and the supplier has purchased extra making the cost to me relatively cheap at the moment. I am making an order that buys the wood for both items. Guess my mind was wandering.
My question was considering the bending of the ribs.
Thanks for your reply!
Larry B
The difference between a professional and an amateur is the Professional knows how to cover his mistakes, the amateur gets another board.
t3

Post by t3 »

You can do it either way, but you'll save money and material if you order up the 5/4 ( it's 1 1/8" thick ) and edge rip it to 5/8". Or better yet, if you have access to a planer rip it to 3/4" and mill it down to 5/8.

To key to a successful bend is to minimize grain run-out. Select wood with the
straightest grain. Picking your own lumber is best, but if that's not possible
just order about 20% more than you think you'll need and cut out some extra parts. Most likely there'll be some breakage.

Save the best ( straightest grained ) pieces for the tightest curves, like those in the rear of the boat. The other pieces will do better amidships where the bend isn't so severe. Less chance of breaking.

Bending wood is cool. You should have a lot of fun. Good luck, man!
Michael J. Seiber

Post by Michael J. Seiber »

When it comes to getting white oak I lucked out. I get mine from the Dutchman sawmill down the road from me. I'm restoring a Cruisers 302 at the moment so I just came from there last week. Ended up with five peices 1 1/2 "X 7"X 11' and a piece of heart wood 7'X7'X10'. I could barley pick up one end of the heart wood piece. The guy charged me five bucks!

Some of it is green and some is a couple of years old. All will be used somewhere. I'll try and post a couple of pictures of it.