Canvas top-I don't have one

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Bayviewboy

Canvas top-I don't have one

Post by Bayviewboy »

I have a 1960 Sea Coaster without a canvas top. I am looking some help to find or fabircate "original" bows and canvas. Any help out there? Thanks. Dave
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

Dave, I have a '61 Sea Coaster with the original canvas. If there is something a can do to help by providing dimensions or what not feel free to contact me. I only have the canvas that goes over the top of the cockpit area. I do not have sides or a back piece. They were provided by the company as options though, maybe someone else has those...Dan
Bayviewboy

Post by Bayviewboy »

Dan, I think it would be helpful if you could take several detailed photos. I can get the canvas made, but I don't know about the support bows. But photos would certainly help. Thank you. Dave
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

Hi Dave,
We have a local upoltstry shop that also does mooring covers and tops for boats. When I got my boat I had all of the canvas but was missing the bows. They said that they could make them but it was the opposite of the way they normally do it, so it would have been a little pricey. When I was at the ralley a year ago I found a guy that had the original ones for sale and it was for the same boat and they were alot cheaper and fit perfectly.
So my sugestion is to check with some local shops or contact a marina in the area to see where other people are getting repair work done and they should be able to do the whole job for you.
Bill Dunn
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
Bayviewboy

canvas

Post by Bayviewboy »

Thanks Bill. I know just the place to make that inquiry in northern Michigan. But if you or Dan or others have photos, I know that would be of great assistance. Thanks again. Dave
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Bill, I have a complete one for my boat and its in pretty bad shape. Mind sharing who you have make your covers? I wonder if mine is the same as the one that would fit the sea coaster?? If it is I could always have two made.

Evan
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

Hi Guys,
The place is called Flynn's Custom Boat Covers Plus in LaCrosse Wi. The Phone number is (608)781-6960. They have an upholstery shop across the street for cars, boats, ect. I think they prefer to have the boat there to make sure of the fit, but I think if you can get them the old top that is in good enough shape to work with for a pattern I think they would be able to do that. The place is just off the Interstate and is pretty easy to find. Good luck.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Thanks Bill, my top is in really good shape but the canvas is getting weak and it can be easily torn. It is pretty ideal for a pattern.

Evan
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

OK, first time using the photobucket, so I hope these turn out. These are photos of my canvas. If anyone has a question as to what the picture is of please ask. If you need more detail of an area just ask. The loops around thhe front bow are 4-1/4" wide. The sleeve loop around the back bow is 32" long. I think I can trace the 1/2 inch tubing onto some old computer paper of both bows if this helps anyone. Just send me your address and I'll send it to you...Dan
http://842.photobucket.com/albums/zz346/danwolf/
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

ok I see that did not work so lets try this one.http://photobucket.com/seacoaster
OK This one worked!! :D
Bayviewboy

Post by Bayviewboy »

Dan, Bill and Evan, thanks for all the input. Dan, thank you very much for the photos they are very helpful. I am confident that if it doesn't work with Flynn's that a canvas shop I work with in northern Michigan can do the job based on those photos. If you are able to trace the bows that would be great. I will send you my mailing address.

Evan, if indeed the canvas for the Sea Coaster is the same as your boat and if Flynns will make two, then I would very much appreciate it if you could let them make one for me from your existing canvas. But what kind of Thompson do you have? I will first have to figure out how to get the bows made. Dave
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Dave,
If it's any help to you, Dan's '61 Sea Coaster is exactly the same as my '60 Sea Coaster. I don't have any photos of mine with top up, but it's designed the same way and attaches the same.
Verne :D
Bayviewboy

Post by Bayviewboy »

Thanks Verne.
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Oh yeah, I think I have a sea lancer or something of that nature. My boat is only 17' long so likely yours would be different.

Evan
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

You know I bend a lot of conduit for my jobs with a pipe bender (Available at most hardware stores). If you could lay your hands on the 1/2" aluminum pipe I'm sure you could bend your own. The fittings for these bows I have seen in West Marine stores or Overtons. Shove those in and crimp. Might save you some money. Dan