Marine plywood in Tennessee

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

larryejoh

Marine plywood in Tennessee

Post by larryejoh »

Does anyone know of a source for 3/8 maine plywood in Tennessee? I have found 3/4 but nobody has 3/8. I am repairing my garboard planks. If I can't find marine plywood what do you think of using 3/8 MDO.

Larry
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Larry,

You want to use plywood that is marine grade not anything else. Marine grade is made with adhesives that will stand up to being wet for extended periods of time. Regular exterior grade plywood adhesives will not hold up in marine applications.
Also marine grade plywood has more plies then standard plywoods and it has less possible voids within the plies themselves.

Ask the local dealer who has the 3/4" marine plywood if they will order some 3/8" marine plywood for you in their next order from their supplier.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Phill
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Hey Phil, where is a good location in WI to get this stuff? I need to do the same project.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

240sxguy,

Check with the guys at Brightwork Boat Works at 5380 Farmco Drive in Madison they should be able to help you locate someone in the area that handles it.
In fact there is a outfit "BVC Hardwaood" just down the road from Brightwork that handles rough sawn lumber. I have purchased air dried white oak from this outfit in the past and the old price list I have from 2001 lists marine grade plywoods. At that time they had 4 different species and 6 different thicknesses for 1/8" thru 3/4" shown. Give them a call 608-244-8780.

Good Luck,

Phill
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Thanks a ton Phil!!

Happy new years guys.

Evan
GulfCoastThompson

Post by GulfCoastThompson »

Worldpanel.com sells all types of marine plywood. 3/8 Meranti is $68.60 per sheet plus shipping. Okuma is about the same. They ship anywhere. Their number is 888.836.3379 ask for Brian Goff his cell is 561.843.1824
Ken
Fairhope, AL