new thompson owner

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Rick

new thompson owner

Post by Rick »

I recently purchased a 1964 nineteen foot Thompson Super Lancer, serial #25525 with a 90 hp Johnson outboard & tilt trailer. The hull, transom and overall condition, excepting the finish is pretty sound. The subfloor, which I believe is masonite, is in bad shape. Should I replace it with marine plywood? If so, should it be treated in some way? I would like to keep it as original as possible, but I also want to use it! Also, did this boat come with an inboard gas tank? I ask, because it has 4 chrome vents: 2 on the bow, 2 on the aft gunwale and a fuel tank filler cap on the starboard side behind the front seat gunwale. I have MANY other "how to" questions and would appreciate any tips and/or help you can give.
Thanks,
Rick
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome aboard Rick!

Your serial number falls within the 1964 model year range. What is the hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat? It is different than the serial number.

You can purchase on CD-ROM the brochures of Thompson Boat et.al. at www.wcha.org and www.dragonflycanoe.com

A fuel tank would not have been a standard factory item on an outboard. However, according to the 1964 brochure, on model 1900 Super Lancer one could order, as an accessory, a fuel tank for the boat: either 16 gallon at teh stern or under the front seat.

The original floor boards are tempered hardboard, probaly covered in Nautolex vinyl. Plywood cane be used as a substitute. Use a marine plywood and coat it with somethng like Smith's Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES). Nautolex is still made and available at almost any marine store or many places on line.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Andreas