Flipping a 16 ft Penn Yan

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

richnle

Flipping a 16 ft Penn Yan

Post by richnle »

Hi All - I am new to this forum and am working to restore a 16 ft Penn Yan outboard. I am about to try flipping the boat.

I have removed the engine, windshield, seating, floorboards, fuel tank and battery. Above the boat is a high ceiling with exposed steel I beams. I am thinking of attaching 3 come-alongs from the I beams to the bow ring and 2 ski rings on the boat. After lifting the boat and rolling out the trailer, I would then use the come-along attached to one of the ski rings to roll the boat to nearly 90 degrees. After manually pushing her past 90 degrees, I would gradually release the same come-along to complete the 180 degree roll. I would then gradually release all three come-alongs to lower her upside down onto tires.

I have not done this before and thought I would check if anyone thinks this process will work without turning her into a pile of fire-wood. Thanks!'

Rich
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Rich,

I see no reason that should not work, provided your bow and transom eyes are sound and the wood around them is sound.
Take it slow and easy and keep the boat as close to the floor as possible and have some tires under the boat just incase something fails.

Good Luck!

Phill
richnle

Post by richnle »

Thanks Phil,

Hopefully we will get her flipped later this week. I'll update then.

Rich
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Sounds fine. Or just get five-six guys and flip her manually. Very simple to do. I have done it many, many times without incident. Takes 60 seconds.

Andreas
john

Post by john »

I would sugest 5 guys instead of steel cable, which may ding the hull as it turns past 90 degrees. If you do use cables, I still would have 5 or 6 guys to help just in case it gets hung up.
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

Yep, I agree with the guys. 6 guys is the way to go. A lot less work. I like the old tire comment to, without the rims of course. If something goes wrong with the cable who's going to help. Hate to see it drop!!
richnle

Post by richnle »

Thank you all for your help. The flipping went fine without any problems. Three of us did it. We ran a strap under the boat near the transom and attached a strap to the front eye. We lifted the boat off the trailer with come-alongs attached between the straps and I-beams overhead. With the boat suspended, it rotated pretty easily in the strap near the transom. Once flipped, we lowered her down onto tires. About an hour start to finish and no injuries to the flippers or the boat! Now the fun begins! Thanks again.

Rich