Outer Keel laminating

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

62cruiserinc

Outer Keel laminating

Post by 62cruiserinc »

I will be replacing the two outer keel pieces on my 62 Cruiser inc. The long piece that runs back to the transom is straight, but the front piece that runs up the bow will have to be laminated. The piece is 1 1/4" thick. I'll be using white oak.

See the picture below:

How thick should each lamination be to allow the bend?

I could use 3 pieces 3/8" thick or 5 pieces 1/4" thick.

Also, what epoxy did you use to laminated the pieces?

Did you create a fixture to hold the shape or did you bolt them to the boat until cured?

My boat originally had a butt joint between the two outer keel pieces with a round hole through both pieces that originally held some round dowel or peg in it (nothing in the hole when I got it). How should I join the two pieces? With a scarf joint? Why was the original design with a hole/peg? To allow some movement there?

The picture:

Thanks
Steve
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Well, if the piece you are going to be using for the outer stem is straight grain white oak, perhaps you can steam bend it. You could use the existing stem piece tpo make a jig out of plywood.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

If you opt for steam bending the stem piece, I word of caution. Do not shape the wood strip into it's final, or near final shape before attempting the bend. Because the cross section of the stem is a truncated pyramid the outer fibers (narrow part of the pyramid) will be greatly overstressed and rupture. The pyramid cross section shifts the neutral axis well off center away from the tension side... not good for wood bending. Make the bend with stock of rectangular section. then cut to shape after the bend sets up.
Don't ask how I learned this !!!
Joe B
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Was the original stem laminated or was it solid lumber that was steam bent to shape?

Use all heartwood white oak. Do not use any sapwood and do not use red oak. If laminating, you must use resorcinol adhesive. Epoxy and white oak are not compatable. There is a great deal about gluing white oak at the forum of www.woodenboat.com

Thickness of laminations depends upon radius of the curvature. It will be easier to bend 1/4 inch laminations than 3/8 inch. You'll have more laminations and use more adhesive. But it is minor on such a small piece.

Here are a couple of big glued laminated white oak stems!

The dowel between the stem and keel is called a stop water. I am surprised it was used in this boat. Has anyone else seen one at this location on a Cruisers or Thompson et.al.? I wonder if the stem and keel were replaced at some previous time and the restorer added a stop water.

Andreas