Rib Repair

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

62cruiserinc

Rib Repair

Post by 62cruiserinc »

On my 62 Cruiser Inc, there are about 3 ribs in a row that seem to have cracked in the part between the keel and the lengthwise floor beam. I would like to fix these. See the picture below:

The ribs are 5/8" thick by 1 1/8" wide. Doesn't look like you could sister a new one by attaching it to the side of the existing one because they are so thin. I could scarf a new piece onto the existing rib, but I was wondering if I could just put another one next to it that would run from the keel to the lengthwise floor beam that is attached to the top of the ribs. This short piece is flat and would not require bending. Then I would sister another short piece to the already existing sister on the side of the keel to attach the new rib pieces to.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Steve, I did these repairs by scarfing in to the ribs. if you e-mail me I'll send you a write-up describing the process I used.

Joe B fixerjo@sbcglobal.net
jimmylapstrake

sister ribs

Post by jimmylapstrake »

any sister ribs by rule need to go 2 feet beyond either side of the repair and the sister also needs to be tied (fastened) into the longitudinal structure and if possible the keel for the best result.

I could not really see the cracks you spoke of
Jim Melanson