Flipping and supporting a flipped 13' 6" TVT for hull w

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

tcvc

Flipping and supporting a flipped 13' 6" TVT for hull w

Post by tcvc »

I'm about ready to flip my Thompson TVT 13' 6' with a closed bow with a mahogany deck. My question is how and what do I use to support the flipped boat?? The bow is not flat it's concave, so how can I support it with out risking damaging the deck. the boat isn't terribly heavy 2 people can lift it so I’m thinking 3 to flip it. I was considering sitting it on several layers of bubble wrap for a cushion and it would kind of flex to the shape of the bow deck. any thoughts or I’m very open to better ideas.
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

I saw a solution where the owner created a cradle while the boat was upright. He shaped what looked like 2X6's to the shape of the deck. He then padded them to prevent marring the finish. Not sure how he kept them attached to the boat when he rolled it.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

tcvc,

Your could take the idea of scribing two or three 2x6 to the contour of the fore deck and mounting them on a sawhorse. Once the boat is flipped place the sawhorse under the fore deck with pading between the 2x6's and the deck.

Good Luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Just have some decent support for the curve of the deck while upside down. Packing blankets, bubble wrap, wood cut to the shape of the curve.....

Andreas